1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Westboro Baptist Church is evil, but it may win in high court

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Dan82

http://blogs.standard.net/the-polit...-church-is-evil-but-it-may-win-in-high-court/

2. Zontar

If God really believed in that, it would be in humanity's best interest to revolt against him. Just saying.

3. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll get some torches and start poking my pitchfork at everywhere in the universe, then.

4. Connor22

you know they could just rule that they're allowed to protest, providing that an opaque landmark is in the way and they can't be heard, that was everyone is happy, they get to protest, albiet in a field somewhere and we don't have to hear or see them

5. Dave

I think that they should be using the fighting words clause to argue the case, because what they're doing clearly is going to entice someone to fight

6. Jonathan

7. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I hope those bigoted fucks are satisfied.

8. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    they won't be satisfied until the rapture comes and we're all being trampled under the hooves of the four horsemen.

9. Gothitil

Gothitil Guest

Why don't people just sue them constantly for millions of dollars in emotional distress? Whether or not they have free speech doesn't matter, they're causing emotional distress, and therefore can be sued.

Then, they would stop eventually as they go into millions of dollars in debt and hopefully jump off a bridge together in their last attempt for news-rape.

---------- Post added 2nd Mar 2011 at 02:40 PM ----------

This is why the conservatives on the Supreme Court need to die (preferably just step down) before Obama leaves office so there will be a Liberal majority.

10. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i think you can only sue for emotional distress if a tangible crime has been committed to actually cause the distress?

11. Gothitil

Gothitil Guest

Slander is a crime and that's what they're doing. Whenever they get into an argument with the protested, they will scream "HE DIED BECAUSE HE'S A FAG!" Even though..that's generally not true.

12. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    can you technically slander dead people?

13. Gothitil

Gothitil Guest

The legal definition says nothing about being alive.

Hm, I feel as if I'd make a good lawyer.

14. TheDarkerPoet

You can slander the name of the dead, which is exacty what they do whenever they picket the funerals of dead soldiers. It is a crime in my opinion and nobody should do it, but the satanic cult that is Westboro Baptist Church think they have every right to perform hate crimes in the name of their God.

[​IMG]

In my opinion, the right of speech should not apply to these idiots. They parade around slandering homosexuality, Jews, blacks, Arabs, Obama, even other Christian organizations that do not fall under the same beliefs as they do. Basically, what they are saying is that God hates everyone and sends everyone that isn't them and their crazy-ass family straight to hell.
    Nice people.

15. PhantomX

Though this point is irrelevent in this case. The ruling was 8-1, so even most of the liberal justices went in favor of the majority.

16. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    True, but who has the right of attorney of a dead person? And i don't mean just the executor of their will... I mean, ignoring the question of whether a dead person is legally a person anyway, someone has to be chosen to represent them. Who gives the okay?

Heh, this is way off topic though. Any lawyers around who can put this to bed for us?

17. RaRa

They have the same right to free speech as we do. I dont think theres honestly one person who takes them seriously. I just find them entertaining. Kinda like a circuis show.

18. ArcusPravus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Just because you don't like what they have to say, does not mean they don't have the right to say it. And this wasn't a case of conservative vs liberal ideology. I beleive the ruling was 8-1. There's a line from The American President that sums it up fairly nicely.

19. Flyers2011

The best way to deal with these goons is to just ignore them. They feed on the negative energy and the hate that normal people have for them. It's like an addiction. They get off on causing trouble and making people hate them. Its like sex.

20. Gothitil

Gothitil Guest

You, sir, are completely right.