1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sarah Palin slams Supreme Court over Westboro ruling

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Dan82

http://www.thestatecolumn.com/articles/sarah-palin-slams-supreme-court-over-westboro-ruling/

2. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i thought invoking god's name frivolously was a sin?

3. maverick

It's very interesting to me how people focus so intently on the "God hates dead soldiers" part of their message and ignore the "God hates fags" part.

If WBC was just spewing hate messages at us, I doubt Palin would give a shit, as defending the homos is not politically viable if you're a conservative. But defending our meat shields? (At least rhetorically?) Now there's a platform...

4. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sigh Palin.....she flip flops so often. She's worse than a gymnast at the Olympics...

5. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't get why she's still talking. She isn't a governor any more, nor is she officially a celebrity. And if indeed she decides to run for the White House in 2012 she should shut up now before she destroys any of the credibility she may possibly have left... :rolle:

6. Jonathan

Took the words right out of my mouth.

7. Allecto

Agreed. I find it telling that nobody gave a shit when they were protesting Matthew Shepard and AIDS victims' funerals, yet everyone got up in arms once they started protesting soldiers' funerals.

8. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well think about it, most of (but not all) the conservatives (like Palin, although I bet she can’t spell it) were pro-war and have always supported the troops. They hate gays, and like to pretend we don't exist by ignoring us. Maybe now that DADT has been repealed they'll notice that there are some gay soldiers out there. Then their heads will explode because they won't be able to process the fact that something they hate has combined with something they've always supported.

9. Emberstone

I would draw a distinction between supporting the idea of the troops, and actually supporting them. Republicans/conservatives have been doing alot of unfunding and underfunding of veterens and troops for decades. They like to claim the troops and patriotisem, but actions speak louder than words, and both their actions and words where it counts tends to be against the troops, not for their well-being.

10. midwestblues

This.

11. Ianthe

What is she even talking about? People invoke God's name in the public square all the time, herself and the WBC included.

12. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It gets worse. Privately contracted mercenaries are often paid four or five times as much as US soldiers for doing the same job. I'm not sure how i would feel as a soldier, if as a patriot defending my country, i fought alongside a mercenary (most of whom aren't even american) being paid so much more to do the same job.

13. TheDarkerPoet

But this isn't at all surprising. There is more of a sense of pride for Americans in their soldiers. Hating on homosexuality is not considered too much of a crime because a good portion of world we live in is against us.

We don't get that much attention because, frankly, we don't get that much support. Americans support the army. They love and are proud of their army. Therefore, it makes more sense that a sign saying "Thank God for Dead Soldiers" and "Thank God for IED's" would get the majority of America riled up.

14. Emberstone

I don't know. I know homophobes who say wbc takes the anti-gay rhetoric way too far.