1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Union battle is affecting us gays!

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Gothitil, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Gothitil

Gothitil Guest

This is in Ohio. The bill speeding through our legislation (Republicans control the entire government here, so even if democrats walk out it's being passed.) It will take away all rights to gay partners of teachers that unions guaranteed.

ABC News Article about the bill
    Anti-gay marriage sentiment

Yay for my state! (!)

2. Emberstone

what is ironic, it is not unions that are costing the states huge amount of money, it is private contracters that truly are costing the states buttloads of money. union workers tend to make 11-12% less than their fellow workers of comparable educational background and position.

And people wonder why I am so against 'Facisem'. If you don't fit the right wing's narrow-minded views of the world (white, rich, straight, and penised), then your not american enough, and therefore are not deserving of equal rights and due process under the law.

in wisconsion, the budget bill is trying to revoke insurance companies being able to cover birth control.

It is nothing more than culture war hidden behind budget lies. First they created the budget woes... now they are useing them to take away the rights of groups they don't like.

What is next, concentration camps?

3. Gothitil

Gothitil Guest

Ohio is just going all out crazy with money. -_-

With Ted Strickland (democrat) he completely destroyed our economy. Not that it wasn't already shit. Then, instead of actually fixing things, he just pulls money out of random places to see if it fixes things (which it never did.) He pulled money out of schools and libraries, to note the most publically known cases.

Ugh. Ohio governors always suck, democrat or republican. -_-

4. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What's also lovely is this bill will effect both hetero and homo couples...tsk tsk.

5. Gothitil

Gothitil Guest

Depends on where you are. Most cities here offer civil partnerships to heterosexual couples (a few of the ones offering that do the same for homosexual couples [like Cleveland]) So, really "or different sexes is against the strong public policy of this state." is a false statement.

6. RedState

Are your serious??
    Public pension programs are a huge drain on state finances. The difference between the public unions and the private unions is the fact that the taxpayers have to pick up the majority of the tab for public unions.
    The start of California's economic problems was the fact the Jerry Brown gave public employees collective bargaining privilege (and it is a PRIVILEGE not a RIGHT) to begin with in when he served his first term as governor. To his credit he has said the sate has to cut back.
    As far as the Democratic Senators that have refused to show up for work because they are cowards...how typical. When they show back up in their home districts in they should be run back out of town.

#6 RedState, Mar 3, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  7. Kidd

Kidd Guest

The unions have already agreed to the financial changes, but they refuse to give up their bargaining rights, and I don't see a problem with that all. I actually commend the democrats for walking out. I would vote for any of them in a heartbeat. Bargaining rights are effecting the budget in what way? It's a hit job on unions, nothing more. Plus, in the case of Wisconsin, if the state is in such extreme financial woes, why did he give several million dollars worth of tax breaks? It only exacerbated the problem.

I heard some teachers at the local high school are planning a walk-out if this passes. Teachers are already severely underpaid, they should be the last ones to take a hit.

8. RedState

If the teachers plan to walk out ( I don't know if this particular state has this law, but if they do it should be used) the Governor needs to do the exact same thing Reagan did with the air traffic controllers in the 1980's...give them a dead line to show up for work...if they fail to meet that dead line...fire their asses. Period.

Collective Bargaining is still in effect as far as salaries go. What they are wanting to do is to take that away from the pension and benefit side. By simple asking that the public unions add a contribution to THEIR OWN pension programs...instead of having the taxpayers pick up the majority (or in some cases 100% of it)

There is also a provision that the Union higher-ups are rallying against, and that is eliminating the mandate that union dues (by law) come out of an individuals state paycheck. I If a public employee wants to be part of a union, than fine (I'm from a right to work state so you know where I stand) but if you are a public employe and not want to be affiliated with a union, why should your own paycheck be docked for it? Under current law it is. The reason for this? Power and control for the union bosses. Everyone blasts corporations for giving money to politics...well the Unions are not saints. In 2010 Unions gave over $600 million to Democratic political campaigns.

In regards to bargaining "right" effecting finances...as the Prime Minister says in PM Questions, "I refer the Gentlemen to the response I gave some time ago"

As far as applauding the Senators that tucked tail and played hide-and-go seek...i simply have a different view. Legislators are elected to do just that...legislate. They may not like the issues at hand, but they are elected to do a job.
    Elections have consequences, and quoting the President at the start of his legislative agenda "We won...and the Republicans can get at the back of the bus"

Well...the republicans at least showed up to the bus stop going to Washington. I guess we will have to send charlie Chan or Horatio Caine out to find the Democratic lawmakers that would rather run and hide other than actual make a tough decision.

Sorry, I don't care if they were republicans or democrats...any elected official that runs and hides rather than face his or her own responsibility is an embarrassment and they should be ashamed of them selves.

#8 RedState, Mar 3, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  9. Kidd

Kidd Guest

10. RedState

#10 RedState, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  11. Kidd

Kidd Guest

Like I already said, the benefits are the lure. Public sector employees are paid a pittance. It's almost comical. Who in their right mind would willingly work a job that gives them practically nothing in return? Without the benefits, my mother would be better off working as a cashier at Target. It isn't going to draw anyone with intelligence or talent to the public sector, and we will all suffer as a result.

Tax-payers should foot the bill because these employees are doing a public service, for you, whether you want it or not. My mother is the one that zoned your house, she's the one that holds gas stations accountable at the pumps. My mother is the one that helps settle land disputes, and she helps you with your property taxes. It's a public service. The same applies to firefighters and police officers. These are people who are taking care of the community. They should be taken care of in return. We do the same thing with veterans. Would you support a decrease in their benefits as well? What's the difference? Maybe we should stop sending soldiers to college and make them pay for their own education. What do you think? Maybe we should tell soldiers to pay for their own rehabilitation and health insurance too. They shouldn't have been shot, right? What's that? A soldier has PTSD? We don't want to pay for his therapy. Tell him to get over it! I genuinely find this entire debate to be absolutely revolting. This is an attack on the elderly retirees too. How are they supposed to survive if we're slashing their pensions? They haven't had a decent salary for their entire lives and this is probably the only thing that they had going for them. Now what are they supposed to do?

Not to mention, my mother and my entire family pay taxes too, it isn't like we're just ripping off the entire state of Ohio. We pay our fair share. My mother also contributes part of the money that pays for our health insurance and everything else, it isn't free. Under the current laws, the state matches my mother's contributions to her pension, it's 50/50. How much more do you want her to contribute? Should she pay for all of it? I'm sure her pension will be really large and healthy when she retires since she makes less than $14 an hour and stuff. Of course, next year she will probably be making even less than she is now. It's completely ridiculous. It's practically slave labor. My mother can't even get paid overtime even though sometimes she spends as much as 16 hours a day in the office since everything is so critically understaffed. It's a skeleton crew.

Maybe you're just not aware of how far-reaching this Ohio bill is? For example; in the new bill it establishes a pay scale for teachers. A teacher with 10 years of experience and a master's degree is relegated to a pay scale with a minimum of $17,000 and a maximum of $32,000. That cuts an average of more than $10,000 off of every teacher's salary. Do you think that is going to draw anyone to the profession? Do you think it's going to convince anyone to stay? How much more are we going to take away from our education system before we have finally had enough? The future of America's youth is at stake here, and we have only become less competitive with other nations. Slashing an already tiny education budget won't put us ahead.

Tax cuts were given to the rich and we had no way to supplement that income, so now middle class Americans and unions are going to pay for it. Taxes are an unfortunate reality of life. This isn't going to balance our budget. We need to fix social security, and cut back on our defense spending, and yes, people will have to pay taxes. The very foundations of our society shouldn't take the fall in an effort to save a few bucks.

12. RedState

Well, how much is enough in your eyes? I suppose you believe we should revert back to the good old days when the top marginal tax rate was 90%...would that be enough for you, or do you want more? Is 95% enough?

yes, let's once again wage war against the rich...normally that battle cry doesn't come up until after labor Day...but if you want to start it early that's fine I guess. Yes, let's make all the rich people poor....that's the key to everything I guess. So...simply by increasing the tax on "the rich"..according to the current Administration is anyone that makes $250,000 a year will magically solve the $14 trillion situation we find the nation in. Okay...interesting.
    Increasing taxes on the rich will make the billions of unfunded liability vanish? Okay...fascinating.

I'm sorry, I mean no offense to your mother (I'm sure she is dedicated to her job and does a wonderful job)..but I think there is a vast difference between a soldier that puts his or her life on the line in defense of this country and someone that re-zones my house...there is just simply no comparison. That may seem harsh, but that's reality and I'm sorry if you find that offensive..or "revolting" as you called it.

Look, people in the private sector go through the same thing. It's not easy...but sometimes people get paid shit wages...that's life.
    I'm not sure about the Ohio educational budget, but I do know that the budget (well, at least the one from FY2008 because Congress was too inept to even pass a budget last year) for the FDE is one of the most bloated and convoluted messes known to Mankind and you are damn right it needs to be cut.
    The eligibility requirements for Social Security and Medicare need to be raised for younger generations.

Look, I bitch about my salary too. That's why I want to become a Union Boss...that way I can make a fortune.

#12 RedState, Mar 5, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  13. Kidd

Kidd Guest

I wasn't comparing my mother to a soldier at all, they are similar only to the extent that both of them supply a service to the public, but if we really want to cut the budget, we should slash defense spending, which was my only point. It's grown by 9% annually for the last decade. If we really wanted to save money, we would reduce defense spending, overhaul social security, and fix medicare and medicaid. This union fight isn't going to solve or do anything, except screw over middle America.

I'm not attacking the rich, but I'm just stating the truth. We gave them tax breaks and now we don't have anything to supplement that income. It's just the truth. I think it's messed up that some people expect a billionaire to pay no more in taxes than a McDonald's worker. Raising taxes on them isn't going to solve the problem but it will certainly help reduce the deficit, someone has to pay for it. Slashing everyone's taxes only exacerbates the issue, and that is why we are now facing this union battle. We, middle class Americans, are now taking the fall for them. I think it's sick, honestly. Who do you think is going to feel the pinch more; a teacher who is now making $10,000 less than he was last year, or a business owner making $300,000 a year?

People in the private sector at least have a recourse for their grievances. They can go to another company and work for the competition, they have opportunity for advancement, they can ask for a raise. Public employees don't and they can't do those things, which is why they have unions. Now, thanks to this bill, those opportunities are almost closed off to them. You can't compare the private and public sectors, they function in two totally different ways.

14. RedState

Do you think that income taxes are the only taxes that those with means pay?
    An entry level McDonald's worker more than likely pays no income taxes at all.

Defense spending, sure. Social Security Medicare/Medicaid absolutely.

If simply raising taxes helps, why is it that so many times when states raise taxes they actually lose more revenue than they projected the increased tax would bring in to begin with?

Public employees don't have a recourse fror their grievances? Good lord if you are a classified government employee (which is the majority in the Federal System) it is almost impossible to get fired...and the grievance process can drag out for god knows how long.

You are right, you can't really compare the two sectors. Because if private business ran like government, if private business gave into every whim, we would have no private businesses left, because they all would be bankrupt. Many times, in the private sector, unions serve one purpose...to cause financial ruin on a company..note GM, Eastern Airlines, Consolidated Freight, etc. Why do you think the auto-manufacturing facilities located in right to work states are doing much better than those in unionized states? Why did Boeing pick to build a huge manufacturing plant in South Carolina that will result in thousands of jobs? It was because of being in a right to work state.

My dad owned his own company, and he always said he would shut the place down before he would ever allow the first unionized worker on the property.

Do unions serve a greater purpose? I suppose in a way they do. But many times you see the high-archy of Union leadership more concerned with their individual power over those in the rank and file...why else would card-check be such an issue? Why would they be against letting someone pay their dues on a voluntary basis instead of having an automatic deduction by law? If someone wants to be a member of a union, fine that is their choice...if someone doesn't i don't think they should be forced to pay for it.

The Federal system has some unions, but it is against the law for them to strike or walk out...which i think is good. The last time that was enforced was in the 1980's i think when the air traffic controllers went on strike and were all terminated. Which was the right thing to do imo.

The problem with unionization now-a-days (or rather in the not-toodistant past..seeing how I think some are finally coming around that something's gotta give) is that we had unions run amok. California became a fiscal disaster due in part to the run-a-way pandering the legislature did for years to the public employee unions...because they were a power political force out there and the politicians (and this is not restricted to just one party, all are guilty) were more concerned about their own political position than the long term fiscal health of their state.
    Hopefully that is changing. But it is hard to negotiate when you have nothing to give...and that is the situation many states are in today...they simply don't have the money.
    What's the solution..raise taxes as you suggested?
    While I believe there is no good time to raise taxes there are certainly WORSE times to raise taxes...and now is one of those worst times. The economy, while starting to show signs of life thank goodness, it is still a fragile creature right now...the prospect of dramatically increased gas prices are already a threat to our recovery, and I think it would be a huge mistake to add increased taxes on top of that.

15. Kidd

Kidd Guest

I completely agree that California and this country has sometimes allowed unions to run amok, and I agree that federal jobs are among the most secure on the planet, yet they do not have the same recourse that a private sector employee would have. The day-to-day operation has absolutely no consideration for their employees because they know that they won't leave, because there isn't really anywhere else for them to go. The government doesn't compete with anyone.

Now that we have slashed taxes I don't think they should be raised, but we shouldn't have cut them in the first place since the economy was rebounding with them in place to begin with. Now we have to make these cuts to pay for it and everyone is pissed off and at the end of the day it isn't solving the real problem. It's a distraction.

I've already said this twice before, but the unions have grudgingly made the desired financial changes and have given up some of their benefits, but the damage that republicans seek to do to their bargaining rights cannot and should not even be considered. It completely silences the unions and their ability to lobby. At some point in the future when the economy does rebound and these employees want a pay raise or their benefits returned, they will have no chance whatsoever to lobby or ask for it. Actually, if this passes I am willing to bet money that it is overturned by a court somewhere which will only make this entire thing even more futile.