1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nearly three-quarters of Irish people in favour of gay marriage

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Dan82

http://www.thejournal.ie/nearly-three-quarters-of-irish-people-in-favour-of-gay-marriage-2011-03/

2. Emberstone

and that coming from a country with strong catholic and protestant feelings.

3. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow I'm impressed :grin:

4. NickT

Forget Canada, I should move to Ireland! They have sexier accents anyway. <3

5. nate16

I second on the accents part. I love irish accents!!!!!

6. Fintan

A couple of things --

I find this strange considering that while the British part of Ireland (Northern Ireland) allows abortion, abortions are still illegal in the Republic of Ireland. I am not saying that legalising Abortion is a precurser to Gay Marriage... however, it seems to occur in that order in (almost?) every other Western Country.

Also, both Ireland (since 2011) and Northern Ireland, part of the UK (since 2004) permit Civil Unions, but only the UK has suggested any intention on moving forward with Gay Marriage. Its also interesting to note that Ireland has just elected its most conservative government in... well its history..... but then again, its the conservative gov't in the UK that is moving forward with Gay Marriage so maybe this is not all that relevant?

Lastly, I love the comment on the news article that says:
    "Not only should Gay marriage be allowed it should be compulsory."

Haha!

#6 Fintan, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  7. TheDarkerPoet

Always had a feeling Ireland would come around. It's such an awesome place. And I third the accent love.

8. Gothitil

Gothitil Guest

But their economy..D:

YAY IRISH PEOPLE!

My desire to learn Irish-Gaelic has been restored. Uamhnach!

9. maverick

Interesting to read this today, I'm in the middle of Angela's Ashes. I find it very, very interesting that this many Irish people support gay marriage. And weird.

10. hert3583

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I won't speak for the Republic, but being from Northern Ireland, I can safely say that a lot of the feelings, or faith that people had, was destroyed by years of terrorism and then the child abuse in the RCC. Of course, a lot of people still believe, but equally large amounts are just apathetic and disgusted by it all. Terrorism was in the name of religion, but not fueled by religious fervor, but rather the ignorant and deluded prejudices people learnt at the hands of their parents. I'm glad to be a part of the generation which is changing, which says no to these kinds of things, and I'm thrilled that the Republic's people have voted this way - it gives me faith in the people I grew up with.

---------- Post added 7th Mar 2011 at 01:18 AM ----------

Sorry to say this, but Northern Ireland does not allow abortion, except in individual cases where the mother will die otherwise. Apart from that, you can't. In fact, the government in Westminster recently tried to force it through, but the entire Stormont Executive put aside party differences and unanimously opposed the motion, so it was defeated.

BUT YES! I may be from the North, but this is SUCH GOOD NEWS! It marks a change from what I had thought general opinion has been for years generally about homosexuality so :grin: :grin:

#10 hert3583, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  11. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Truth

12. Emberstone

I was afraid to bring up too deeply the conflict in all of it. but it just goes to show that in a place where religious ferver ran so high and so deeply, that people are moving to be more accepting when twenty, thirty years ago it would have been laughable to think it possible ever, it just goes to show how the passage of time can change people, and their additudes about others.

13. Holliepop

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    The Conservative Party has got a lot more openly gay people in it than
    any other party atm, which is quite surprising. But, I do know that the conservatives
    have become a lot more centered rather than right-wing.

14. Ianthe

I am now incredibly, profoundly envious.

Sigh.

15. Emberstone

The reality is that most conservatives in other countries look at america and go "what the frack are the american conservatives smoking?"

16. Fintan

True, but we often think that of Democrats too :wink:

17. Holliepop

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    ^_^

Conservatives in the past have been quite awful, such as passing the infamous Section 28, but PM David Cameron has stated that he supports Gay Rights, considering many MPs and other people in the Tory government have come out.

But, when Conservatives won (sort of, since there was a coalition with the Lib Dems, who are in fact a centered party), everyone (who I knew) was like "Noooo! Posh rich scum!" and they have done a lot of cuts, or are going to, which will affect us loads. But when it comes to homosexuality, they're pretty damn cool. Really, all of the big political parties are for Gay Rights and probably Gay Marriage, the only ones that aren't are ones like the British National Party (Who everyone hates anyway because they're racist) and possible independants.

I mean, when I see all these debates on gay marriage in the U.S, I'm quite surprised that it even makes news. I know in the U.K we just have civil unions, but I bet if someone said to Cameron "Gay Marriage?", he'd respond with "... sure. Not going to hurt anyone." Signed. Passed. Done. People get on with their lives. :lol: