1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is going on?!

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by MyDecember, Mar 7, 2011.

1. MyDecember

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    In states, parties clash over voting laws that call for IDs, limits on where college students can cast ballots

2. Charme

Charme Guest

Everyone votes for their feelings, silly politician. Besides, the tea party is just as or even more foolish than young voters considering the tea party is made up of people who've never participated in politics before.

Repeal the 26th Amendment much.

#2 Charme, Mar 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2011
  3. RedState

Well, I think they are foolish too :slight_smile:
    And who ever wrote the 26th Amendment obviously never met an 18 year old...just kidding :slight_smile:

But seriously this guy is not stating anything that people don't already know. A lot of college age kids are more liberal (especially with social issues) than people in other generations. Some continue that line of thought, while others, as they get older, alter their views to a more conservative viewpoint. Much of this comes down to economics over social policies. Rarely will you find a left-wing liberal go conservative later in life or a far-right conservative turn far-left...although it does happen from time to time.

With the voting issue...many states have this provision that allow college students to vote where they attend school without having to completely alter their residence status. For people that are looking to change this, it really is kind of a non-issue in my book. They need to pick their battles. These provisions are really non-conceqencial in elections...sure it MAY could swing a city council race in the city where the college is, but one would be hard pressed to find a higher race where it changed the outcome. Most people (including myself) simply voted absentee while in college.

That being said, NH is always been kinda a screwy state when it comes to local politics...and they could be the exception to that provision..to an extent. As small as NH is, it has the largest state House of Representatives in the US with 400 Members...each district is around 2,500 people I think. So, yeah..a couple of college kids could win a seat in the state Assembly. Big deal...there are college students (most in law school) that serve in legislatures across the country.
    Good for them.

As far as having ID to vote, I agree with that...you should.
    I also agree with doing away with same-day registration. You mainly see this in Republican and Democratic Primaries (but it does happen in General elections too), where if allowed to register to vote up to the day of election, candidates have a bad habit of bussing people in from across the country, signing them up to vote the day of the election..they vote..then they go back to where they actually live.

#3 RedState, Mar 7, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  4. Jonathan24

Lol. They vote their feelings as opposed to voting because your religion/family/ethnic group told you to.
    That's SO wrong! You should just do what people tell you to!

5. Emberstone

This is like what is happening in wisconsion. The republicans are going after the unions because traditionally, the american worker supports democrats over republicans. they think that if they break the unions, then democrats will get less funding. the problem is the funding from unions for the most part from private sector unions.

now they want to make it harder for young people to vote... thats not freedom... that is not liberty... it is reminiscent of the practices of facist regimes. Rig the election by making it harder for the people who wont vote for you to vote.

6. Tiny Catastrophe

this is ridiculous. the republicans are just trying to give themselves a better chance at winning an election. theyre saying that because the college age students most likely wont vote for them that they shouldn't be allowed to vote or are limited in voting which is not democracy. it's a sad attempt at, in a way, rigging an election

7. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    what a contemptible fucktard

8. Emberstone

the thing that frustrates me is that they are not trying to hide that fact. they are stating it boldly and openly.

a more reasoned arguement is dont let people vote past a certain age because nostalgia and senility leads older people often to not realize that the world they grew up in is in the past, and that we live in a dynamic and changing social-political landscape. Therefore, a old person voting based on their understanding of what the world was like when they were young is not as capable of understanding how the world is now. Their vote would be a vote to deny progress, and hold back america, leaving our nation in the dust of countries that look to the future.

9. Tiny Catastrophe

[/QUOTE]a more reasoned arguement is dont let people vote past a certain age because nostalgia and senility leads older people often to not realize that the world they grew up in is in the past, and that we live in a dynamic and changing social-political landscape. Therefore, a old person voting based on their understanding of what the world was like when they were young is not as capable of understanding how the world is now. Their vote would be a vote to deny progress, and hold back america, leaving our nation in the dust of countries that look to the future.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree with you on that one. I don't think anyone should be denied their right to vote if they are an american citizen and a legal adult but if they want to restrict voting it should be restricting people who aren't capable of making an informed decision

---------- Post added 7th Mar 2011 at 03:13 PM ----------

yeah that was a fail at quoting but you all get the point XD

10. maverick

How dare the youth not vote as they're told!!!

11. Ianthe

I love Oregon and our vote-by-mail system.

12. Emberstone

I stand by this statement wholeheartedly. My offical permanent address is my parents in marion county, but I currently live and go to school in another county. I basically just pick up my phamplets and ballot when it arrives at my parents, take it home, study it, study the measures closely before making a decision, fill it out, sign it, and tada, I dont have to do anything but drop it off at the county election office the next time I head to visit family.

I love the luxery of being able to mull my ballot over for a few days, and not have to make any snap judgements.

plus... on election night, it only takes like 10 minutes on most issues for the ballots to be fully counted electronicly once the signature on the envelope has been verified as real.

13. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    y'all should try compulsory voting! i think it's brilliant.

14. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Taking away the right to vote is taking away a basic human right defended by the Constitution of the United States of America...it's the Constitution that has the amendments right? lol

15. TheDarkerPoet

What I really enjoy about this statement is how he has absolutely nothing to back it up on besides his own selfish greed to get less voters for liberal Democratic and more for conservative Republican.

I mean, does he really expect anything to change? By the constitutional right given to them, people 18+ have the right to vote. He needs to just deal with it.

16. Emberstone

but remeber, the consitution is only the first and second ammendment to politicians like this guy, and the first ammendment only applys to people who think and pray like he does...

17. Zontar

The 25th Amendment guarantees the absoleute right to vote to anyone of age. Whatever this is, it would never hold up in front of even the most conservative justice.

18. RedState

Yes..and the Constitution only consists of the !6th Amendment for some people.

19. Emberstone

Well, prop8 did not stand up to a conservative judge... so yah... safe to say this wont get this idiot very far.

20. RedState

Well, I think many of you are mis-reading this. Granted I think this is kinda dumb but what is being talked about is not revoking the right of anyone in college to vote, but saying that they must vote where their permanent address is...just like everyone else.
    For example, while I reside for the time being in Jefferson County, Alabama I cannot vote here. I have always kept my permanent address at my parents house out of state...i vote there through absentee or actually make the drive back. So, should this be passed and challenged in the Courts it would have a leg to stand on...it would simply be enforcing the residency requirements that already exists in standing election statues.

Does it have legal grounds? Yes.

Is it a battle worth fighting? No.

The folly of this guy's argument is the fact (as I stated before) that it is laughable to think that college kids voting in their college districts would have any influence on many elections (maybe..just MAYBE a local city council race)..it just doesn't happen...or not enough to be worried about. The problem with election day registration does not lie with college kids..that problem is far more advanced than that as I stated in a previous post.