1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crystal Cathedral choir asked to sign anti-gay covenant

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Dan82

http://www.ocregister.com/news/choir-292266-cathedral-members.html

2. Emberstone

wouldnt that invalidate the crystal cathedral. if they have to follow the bible in every way, then being that they support and advocate for things christ was against, the church therefore must disband.

3. Ridiculous

If they really were to follow the bible in every way, they would be forced to stone each other to death for their sins.

What they ACTUALLY mean is that they'll follow the bible in such ways that justify them being dicks to everyone else but ignore anything that doesn't make them look superior. Which coincidentally is as anti-Christianity as you can get.

4. Aya McCabre

Wasn't Christ anti-priests?

5. Emberstone

shockingly there is no evidence that jesus was anti-gay. he never talked about it. talked about all the other sexual sins, but not this one.

6. Jay

Jay

Priests in the time of Jesus are not the same as the ones we have today. Most of the ones they had in his times were Pharisees, which were sort of lawyers and priests at the same time, they believed they were in a "higher" place than regular people, they looked down at people and they also were in charge of making sure the Law (Old Testament) was followed.

Priests now are totally different type of priests than the ones in Jesus' time. And he wasn't even against them, they were against Jesus.

7. Emberstone

I dont know, alot of priest seem to have that high-and-mighty/above the laws of man kind of mentality even today, throughout many aspects of the christian spectrum.

8. Fintan

I missed the Bible verse "Thou shalt all sign contracts, with thy church."

9. AtmaWeapon

"Follow the Bible in every way" sounds like the Pharisees. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say it's okay to do whatever, but I don't see any good fruits coming from this, more like white-washed hypocrisy.

And I wouldn't say the priests of today are any different from Jesus' day. Certainly not all clergy and church people are bad, but some really resemble the attitude of the Pharisees of back then.

The point of the NT is cultivating faith which comes of the spirit, not the letter. To say "follow the Bible in every way" is going by the letter and is against faith, doesn't produce faith and kills the message of faith, defeating the whole purpose (like what the Pharisees and religious leaders of Jesus' day did despite being scriptural to the point of fault). If you want to go by the letter, you better make women praying wear veils on their heads, and some people, in an effort to "follow the Bible in every way" demand just that and become legalists, not considering practical considerations and context of when the letter which advocated that was written (or taking into consideration the practical reasons for sending such epistles/letters out or understanding the audience or the writer's intent, totally distorting the original meaning).

To take something out of context is to rob the truth of a message and many Christians do that all the time in order to "follow the Bible in every way" regardless of what damage it does to people and how it oppresses people even when there is a lot of the Bible which warns against arguments of words, the law, and so forth which are impractical/useless and divisive, and instead exhorts for people to focus on people's real needs and to do good and cultivate goodness of conduct and character which benefits everyone and brings honor to the Gospel (I am obviously speaking from a Christian viewpoint) and is acknowledged as honorable to all men (and not just Christians).

There are, nonetheless, so many problems with the attitude addressed in the article on a scriptural basis, that I could write an essay on that (and I've already said a lot). Fortunately people aren't so blind to think what they are doing is okay. It's not.

#9 AtmaWeapon, Mar 17, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  10. Emberstone

This is why I dislike fundementalist and televagelist, who technically are fundementalist by default.

It is not what christ taught that matters to them.. it is how they can use christ to get what THEY want.

11. Fintan

A Sermon by Mel White, “How Can I Be Sure That God Loves Me, Too?”

12. Emberstone

He did speak openly that false prophets would come in his name, and corrupt his message...

and now we have televangelists, glenn beck, sarah palin, michelle bachman, john boehner, fred phelps, rush limbaugh, Bill o'reilly... just name any right wing lunatic, and he described them for what they are.