1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's Finally Been Introduced: DOMA Repeal x2

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Revan, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.co...ct-for-marriage-act/politics/2011/03/16/18090

I know it will probably not pass, but it's just epic that finally a bill directly aimed at repealing DOMA has been put on the floor.

Correction: There are now TWO bills presented. One by Feinstein and another by Jerrold Nadler. And what's interesting about this second bill? The first one has 17 sponsors, the one by Nadler has 102 sponsors O_O

http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.co...duced-into-house/legislation/2011/03/16/18073

#1 Revan, Mar 17, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  2. Emberstone

I suspect boehner(boner) will use every legislative dirty trick he can think of to try to keep it from going very far in the house...

but the senete, it could still have a chance.

3. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Of course he will

4. RedState

The Speaker of The House does not have to use dirty tricks, regardless what party they belong to. It doesn't matter what the issue is, if he/she does not want something to pass it will not pass (in most cases). If The Speaker is dead set against an issue (or has any doubt that something he/she is completely opposed to might pass) it will not be put on The House (or any committee) calendar to begin with...not to mention what something like this would go through during the Rules Committee before it would even reach The Floor. That's simply how The House operates. The House is somewhat of an elected dictatorship. Always has been, always will.
    The Senate operates on a different set of rules.

#4 RedState, Mar 17, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  5. ArcusPravus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Doesn't even have to try. The Speaker of the House determines what gets voted on; if he doesn't want something, it never even makes it to the floor.

6. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I miss Nancy

7. Emberstone

not nice on the eyes, but it was nice to have a speaker of the house that believed constitutional protections apply to all americans, not just certain americans.

8. RedState

Yes, she was certainly a firm believer in the 16th Amendment to the Constitution I will hand you that

She even made Democrats in Congress extremely nervous.

Steny Hoyer would have made a much better Speaker of The House for the Democrats. He's extremely intelligent for starters, and he is very gifted in judging political climates.

While I don't agree with some of his stances obviously, I do have a profound respect for him.

9. No One

I love Nancy Pelosi.