1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Florist refuses to provide flowers to same-sex couple's wedding

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Chandra, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Chandra

2. RaRa

Go to another florist. They dont get the money. They get negative publicity.

Win.

3. EM68

Totally Agree!

4. Zontar

Hasn't this recently been made illegal?

I guess that's what happens when you put your own conscience and your own flawed morals "before" God.

5. Random Dent

Random Dent Guest

:thumbsup:

6. zeratul

zeratul Guest

Yea, I mean, the flower shop owner has control over whose money he wants. Not really a lot you can do except to go to another flourist.

I doubt there is a shortage of gay friendly flourists out there though.

7. Aya McCabre

If the law is secular then there's probably a court case in there somewhere..... it's a question of whether it's worth all the stress. Bad publicity does just as much damage......

8. Emberstone

freedom always has prices... We should be free to marry, and they should be free to be incompetant assholes... they should open their bibles... jesus rejected the notion of turning away people you do not agree with.It is practically becoming 'Born-Again=fuck you, I have god on my side you *insert racist, sexist, xenophobic, or homophobic slur to fit the situation*'.

9. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My question on this issue is whether the florist could legally refuse to provide flowers to a black person and say it's against her religion. If not, then it's just as illegal when done to gays.

Whether legal or not, it's best to publicize it and find another florist and move on. Although the publicity will bring them more business from bigot type folks, other people won't buy from them so it might be a wash.

10. ArcusPravus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's Canada, so it's a blatant violation of the Human Rights Act and illegal.

11. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I should have asked how would this be handled in the US. I know of a case involving a photographer and one about cupcakes. There's a double standard in the US it seems where refusing service because of race is bad, but doing so because sexual orientation can get a pass. I guess because there is no federal law against orientation discrimination, but there are inclusive state anti-discrimination laws.