1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PM Julia Gillard: Gay marriage against my upbringing

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Dan82

2. Mogget

The comments are great. They tear her apart. Apparently she's making this declaration, and citing the Bible as the reason, while living unmarried with her partner. Hypocrite.

3. AtmaWeapon

When tradition becomes more important than people and when tradition holds us back from doing the right thing and helping people, then that tradition is obsolete.

Wittingly or unwittingly, she shows the irrationality of withholding legalization of same-sex marriages. And it does not make hetero unions more 'special' at all. In my eyes, favoring one and snubbing the other makes the one favored lose its own beauty. If you want to make man-woman marriages special, then you had better make marriage be about choice, otherwise the institution of marriage, in my eyes at least, is no longer one I can look at and take seriously. Not until people treat people and people's right to choose, to love, and to marry seriously and get beyond the childishness of clinging to empty tradition which is upheld by injustice.

4. Kidd

Kidd Guest

I want to know who gave the green light to print that picture. The longer you stare at it the scarier it is. So creepy...

5. endless poetry

she's a bit desperate trying to cling on to some of those Nat/Lib votes.

6. Brad

It is downright creepy. I think it is going to give me nightmares.

7. Emberstone

I guess 'not being a bitch' was not apart of her so-called traditional upbringing.

8. Gothitil

Gothitil Guest

We don't care about your upbringing. You shouldn't base laws on your upbringing. Base laws off of the common good for humanity.

9. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    now i dislike her... but she still gets the benefit of my vote for the greens, and avoids alienating potential swing labor voters.

it's cynical and annoying. but some would say necessary.

i still dislike her.

10. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    +1

11. Ridiculous

Atleast she's getting a lot of criticism for it; hopefully she'll realise how horrible she is being.

12. Beachboi92

politicians are not supposed to base their decisions on their personal upbringing it is supposed to be about what is right when it comes to matters of civil rights. At the very least she should be arguing based on what her constituency wants not what her personal beliefs are if she really wants to present even a semi-valid argument...

13. Fintan

I know this sounds ridiculous. But I don't think this article actually explains what she really believes or personally believes about Gay Marriage. The article is a political exercise. Must like Obama going from Pro-Gay Marriage to only Pro-Gay Unions. He believes in Gay Marriage but now says he doesn't support it for political reasons.

I agree with this:
    She can't say anything left-wing right now, she barely has control of the gov't (by 1 or 2 seats). She needs to be as conservative as possible to hold on to power or the Liberals will win gov't. This is basic math. She must hold the status quo or sit on the conservative side of issues or risk losing power.

14. Ridiculous

She seems to have always thought this way though. The first thing I saw about her when she had just stolen the prime-ministerial role was that she doesn't believe in gay marriage. Of course I'm sure a lot of it is trying to get votes, but she's always been like this.