1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple under fire for 'gay conversion' app

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Dan82

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/8393974/Apple-under-fire-for-gay-conversion-app.html

2. MyDecember

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    We own the internet! When will they learn. Part of me believes they keep pumping out these apps for attention.

I think they should have an app explaining their history and who the founders ended up marrying as well as why the person in charge of EXODUS is always changing.

3. Emberstone

or a app that is a exodus international 'mail order bride' counter that counts how many exodus international leaders end up marry women from foreign countries after a financial arrangement is made.

4. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Apple should require peer-reviewed scientific study of their permanent "conversion" rate. They have no such research and if they ever tried, the results would be terrible and they'd never publish them. I think Apple should pull it or give it a super low rating since they're basically a hate group.

5. haelmarie

Oh please, let's not believe in free expression when it's convenient to our cause people.

6. ArcusPravus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    There is no right of free expression here. It's Apple's store for Apple's device. They can be as Machiavellian as they want. If tomorrow they decide that only apps that give homage to the great flying spaghetti monster are allowed they can do that simply because it's Tuesday.

7. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So lemme get this straight. They removed an anti-gay app after people wanted it gone. And then this happens? What made them think that approving an ex-gay one would work? SMH. Use your brains, Apple folks.

8. haelmarie

I wasn't saying they weren't allowed to remove it (they say in the article that Apple's removed other applications they found objectionable). I'm saying that we, as queerfolk, shouldn't be seeking to destroy anything we find objectionable unless it's actual hatespeech. The application, although creepy and scuzzy, probably doesn't call for attacks on gay people. So I'm saying that gay people shouldn't petition to get rid of it, even though they probably can.

Paraphrasing the argument for gay marriage "If you don't want Exodus International, don't put it on your iPod."

9. Gothitil

Gothitil Guest

If people want to release an app that proves their stupidity, I say let them.

I hate censorship.

10. TyPod

I don't care if Apple supports homophobia, I'll still buy their crap.

11. TheDarkerPoet

Man, for a company that uses that kind of logo, Apple just keeps on surprising me.

[​IMG]

I mean honestly.

12. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a platform. Let them have anything on there that people want. This is hardly the hill I'd choose to die on.

Lex

13. Emberstone

the ex-gay movement is deeply rooted in hatred and discriminaiton. They speak of homosexuality as a illness, and they use psuedo psychology, which is illegal in many countries, to try to shame people into becoming straight.

heck, alot of the original members of exodus international have since left the group, denounce it as a fraud and dangerous, and now live openly as gay people.

14. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    None the less, I checked, the app itself just says it tries to provide a different path for homosexuals, hence "no objectionable content". If it said stuff about homos as an illness, it would have been taken down.

15. Dave

Yeah, this pisses me off, but: People assume like Apple creates these apps! they process hundreds to thousands of applications for apps *From independent developers* a day, most get rejected! It's easy for just one to slip through, all it takes is a reviewer; ONE person inside Apple that agrees with the view, or misses the exact nature of the Application that they're checking.
    And the reviews aren't written by Apple, they are written by the people who download the app! Seriously! Understand what you are complaining about before you complain!

16. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The multicoloured apple logo was in use for 2 whole years before the first rainbow flag was designed by gilbert baker.

17. Zontar

Rainbow logos were rather popular back in the seventies. There's no connection.

18. stageone

More misguided than hateful...
    The result is harmful but I don't think the intent is malicious. Not that it makes any difference.

19. Dave

20. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Whatever, it's still gone.