1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vatican tells UN that critics of gays under attack

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Dan82

http://www.canada.com/life/Vatican+tells+that+critics+gays+under+attack/4485023/story.html

2. Emberstone

until they stop vilifying and attacking us, we have a right to criticize their homophobia, racisem, sexisem, etc.

3. British Lad

British Lad Guest

I seconded that.

4. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The UN listening to them is as likely as me listening to a religious nutter. It's not going to happen. They have to realize that the church cannot influence the state, much as it tries.

5. Emberstone

the big problem is that for centuries, there was no state... only the church. even kings had to defer to the church.

6. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well now there is and they are not listening to them as much anymore.

7. aidan

it's beyond me how anybody could take sexual advice from these extraordinarily sexually dysfunctional weirdos.

i suppose this would be another thing to add to the long list of things the catholic church will have to apologise for in the future.

8. Kevin42

Kevin42 Guest

Good, I hope that the Vatican is actually right on this matter. People who hold such ridiculous bigoted views should have their views attacked and mocked.

I also find it just adorable that this super-organization made up of billions of people, that has been persecuting and harming millions of people for 2000 years feels like they are being victimized because people are attacking their backwards views. It is just so tragic.:rolle:

9. endless poetry

The Vatican could even have put Hitler's gas chambers on hiatus and if the anti-gay agenda helps their reassertion of power, you can bet Their Eminences will take all such steps.

10. Jay

Jay

It's ok for us to hate as long as they're hating us?
    I don't think so. Preach by example. If you want respect, it's logic for us to respect them regardless of their actions.

NOTE: Respect =! Tolerance. We shall not tolerate homophobic behaviors, but to say that they can stick that hate where the sun don't shine isn't that respectful in the first place.

11. AtmaWeapon

Nothing wrong with being critical towards homophobic, sexist, and other views, particularly when they clearly hurt a lot of people. But being hateful and intolerant on our part is wrong, too. It's just a matter of countering these views but without resorting to malicious behavior. Some people will come around. If they themselves aren't being outright abusive and acting mean and nasty and hold a viewpoint which conflicts with what you and I believe, then it's better to agree to disagree and show a positive example. Actions speak much louder than words, anyways.

12. Kevin42

Kevin42 Guest

No one has mentioned hate. I think you are confusing pointing out a person's or group's bigotry with hate. Bigotry and backwards views don't deserve any respect anyways. I don't know what exactly has been said that you have a problem with, but I don't think anyone has been disrespecting other people.

On the other hand, I have to say that ridiculous bronze age views do not deserve respect or tolerance from anyone. I certainly refuse to give my respect to bigotry and nonsense and I personally do not have to respect the fact that billions of people hold to these views simply because some man preaches his interpretation of some ancient pieces of literature.