1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sexual Preference Chemical Found In Mice

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Lebowski45, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Lebowski45

2. jennykay12

jennykay12 Guest

I just read this too, but I read it here

though mouse brains and human brains are really different...

#2 jennykay12, Mar 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2011
  3. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    True but if it happens in nature..well...

4. jennykay12

jennykay12 Guest

That is really true, and it's kind of disturbing. I can only imagine what some groups might try once they've heard about the whole thing. "Anti-gay drug," maybe?

5. Just Adam

This is stupid. I love my bf and no injection would change that.

6. I agree! but I don't think that that's the important bit of the news, though.

They're saying that there is more evidence to suggest that being gay is about genetics and chemicals. Just like being straight. Which is good to know.

I think this is a good discovery, even if it's not generalizable to humans, which I'm sure it isn't all that much.

7. Connor22

so mice can be gay. Mice that no more care about where they poop than what they eat, these creatures of less than average intelligence can be gay. Whats all of this about choosing to be gay? or overpressive parents bearing down on kids?

8. Fintan

Professor Keith Kendrick, a neuroscientist at the Babraham Institute in Cambridge, said: "In terms of having potential relevance to understanding human sexual preference/orientation, we are of course far less influenced by odour cues in this context than mice are.

"There is some very limited evidence for altered responses to selective serotonin uptake inhibitors (SSRIs) in the brains of homosexuals, but we have been using psychoactive drugs which either increase or decrease serotonin function for quite some time now, and while effects on sexual arousal, impulsivity and aggression have often been reported, no effects on sexual preference/orientation have.

"At this time therefore any potential links between serotonin and human sexual preferences must be considered somewhat tenuous."