1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services to Put BiNational Immigration Cases on Hold

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Dan82

http://www.metroweekly.com/poliglot/2011/03/us-citizenship-and-immigration.html

2. Sylver

Re: U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services to Put BiNational Immigration Cases on

This has a direct impact on Zume and myself. I'm from Canada and he's from the US. We're getting married this June, and if we ever hope to live together anywhere on this earth, one of us will have to immigrate to the other's country. He can apply for Canadian citizenship because Canada's immigration laws recognize same-sex marriages and common-law relationships. However, I can't apply for spousal immigration to the US because the US doesn't recognize same-sex marriages. This is directly because of DOMA.

So as it stands, our only choice is to live together in Canada with him immigrating here. This is a wonderful country, but we really should have the same choice that heterosexual couples have, and right now the US is behind on this one. I'm glad to see that Obama is moving in the right direction and we both look forward to the day when we can live in each other's country as a married couple. I don't know how many binational gay couples there are, but I can tell you that we are one and this directly affects us!