1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fury at equality watchdog after asks teachers to ask 11-year-olds if they are gay

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Dan82

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-ask-11-year-olds-gay.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

2. Zontar

Parental consent should be essential. It's a sensitive and personal issue, even well into adulthood.

3. RedState

I would be furious too. Completely inappropriate for a teacher to ask...especially children that young, not to mention with no parental/guardian consent...if they are gay.

I don't know who or what this outfit is, but I don't see how anyone there could look at this and say, "Why yes, I think this is a brilliant idea!".

Numbskulls.

4. Emberstone

I agree. besides, are 11 year olds even sexually mature enough to have a sexual orientation? I know guys that were into sports, and masculine leaning at that age who are still that way, but 100% gay. I know girls who at that age were the same way, into sports, and tomboyish, and 100% straight.

until actual puberty hits, and physical attraction sets in, it is hard to tell if a person is gay or straight. mannerisems do not really reveal sexuality... only in stereotypes.

parents need to give consent for protection of privacy and student rights.

5. zerogravity

I find this very encouraging. Am I the only one? Any questions I had at that age about homosexuality were dealt with by adults telling me "oh, it's a passing phase that some boys go through - nothing to worry about".

I wish someone who knew what they were talking about had taught us just a little more. I was pretty open about it at that age too - I went into the closet around age 14.

6. ArcusPravus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Why is it inappropriate. 11 year olds are 5th graders. Perhaps my school just did it early, buy 5th grade was when we had the videos on puberty/sex. And over the summer between 5th adn 6th when I was required to get a physical for school, the doctor added in the "Are you sexually active?" part.

If you're going to talk to kids about those subjects, why should being gay not be talked about? I'll agree that asking each kid if they are gay or not isn't appropriate. But that's not because of their age; it's just an inapproriate thing for a teacher to ask a student. It's also not appropriate for them to adding it to the student's record.

7. Kanen

I don't quite know how I feel on this... On one hand, it shows we are progressing - before I doubt a lot of teachers would even broach the topic in school. Or at least where I'm from, they wouldn't dare. But, I'm worried that this might be twisted. If it's on their record, then their parents could see it. And who knows what would happen then. I suppose a lot would try to cure them... *shudders*.

Yeah, I don't like this. I don't know if the intention was good or not, but this is a bad idea.

8. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    it's too much pressure on children
    many are not likely to know anyway

9. zerogravity

Amazing to hear such negative responses on a forum such as this. If the kids don't know much about sex, raising the topic is going to harm them how? People tend to forget - what about kids who are questioning their sexuality? LGBTQ?? Does the Q not stand for something? (it doesn't stand for queer, by the way).

You know, Questioning? I was one of those kids, particularly at 10-11. Why was I having erotic dreams about gay sex? (at age 10!). I had no-one to talk to - particularly my parents! My doctor? no way. Brother? no way. School nurse, councillor? maybe - in confidence.

I don't want to turn this into a huge diatribe - I am just surprised by the responses here.

10. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i just think 11 is too young an age to know for many people. Very introverted type kids would be liable to see such frank questioning as threatening and clam up even more. I certainly would have.

11. RedState

^^^ This.
    I simply don't think it is a teacher's place to ask their student's this very personal and private question. Some children mature faster than others, and some people come into their own sexuality later in life (I did).

Most kids that are 11 have no clue what is going on with themselves.

12. zerogravity

Not to be a jerk, but maybe you should read the study they are talking - not just some random sensationalist article headline from :eek: The guardian.co.uk??

Here is a page with an abstract and link to the original study, in case anyone is interested :frowning2:

http://www.scie-socialcareonline.org.uk/profile.asp?guid=58d2d941-e710-488d-b79c-e02086adcc4e

---------- Post added 28th Mar 2011 at 09:45 PM ----------

sorry, its the daily mail, omg even worse :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: ok, I'll stop now - the study! people please read the study! :grin:

13. Bryan90

I am going to agree with zerogravity here, to a certain extent.

This policy was made under the framework to prevent victimisation based on sexual orientation, which includes discrimination coming from home, so asking for parental consent would somewhat defeat the purpose.

The biggest issue this policy will be facing is the 'implementers'. For it to be effective, we need competent and trained teachers (specifically in this area) to bring up the issue of sexual orientation without conveying a sense of harm. The students have to feel that teachers are creating a safe space for them to come out or to talk if they have been victimised so that such issues can be addressed.

The records must also be kept confidential from both parents, other unqualified teachers and students.

It's all about the approach in my opinion, but I see the merits of the framework and purpose here.

If nobody knows about it, nobody can help about it.

14. Aya McCabre

How would kids take the question? Are they supposed to know if it's a good thing or a bad thing? Often if you're asked something by an official looking person at that age it's best to deny everything......

If nothing else it will get people thinking about it.... and that's not necessarily a good thing. Sexuality was completely off my radar whilst I was at school and dealing with depression.... perhaps I would have questioned it earlier if I had been asked, and I don't think I could have dealt with that.