1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doctors can reserve themselves from sending lesbian couples to do IVF

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by sokk, Mar 30, 2011.

1. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    We have a law here in Norway, it legalized gay marriage, adoption and IVF for lesbians in 2009. However, this law opens up for priests to refuse to do gay weddings, and also now for doctors to reserve themselves from sending the lesbian couple to a doctor who do the IVF procedure. I mean, I get that they themselves won't do this procedure, but they won't even send them to the doctor to do it? So that means the lesbian couple now has to go to a doctor, then he/she won't send them to do the procedure, no.. they need ANOTHER doctor who can THEN send them to do the procedure.. WTF?!?! This is not good and it is extremely discriminatory.

Weirdly, this country only seems to get more and more conservative and homophobic, and it just confirms my suspicions that the Norwegian Society wasn't ready for this kind of progressive marriage law:icon_sad:

Anyway, here's the article: http://www.vl.no/samfunn/article123012.zrm (Norwegian)

2. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmm... Well, in a way, i can see that kind of a law liberating both gay people and anti-gay people... We all may agree that they're wrong and silly, but in the end, i can only see the anti-gay population fading away as it becomes more clear that gay people don't summon demons, ruin families, corrupt children and generally cause god's wrath, these irrationally hateful people will dwindle in number.... at least hopefully.

So i kinda like it. What would everyone think if this happened in their country? I'd be overjoyed to have such a thing introduced to australia.... but obviously i have a different perspective from our OP.

3. Just Adam

I thought they had to taKe hypocratic oath or summat .... Do no harm. Treat everyone despite their own beliefs.

Dark days when doctors decide who is worthy of help and care.

4. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    that's true. I'd forgotten about that.

Lovely oath, that!

5. Meropspusillus

6. Aya McCabre

It's things like this that make me wonder if it might not be worth staying in this country after all......

7. stageone

In Canada we have a real doctor shortage. Not sure what the situation is there... Wouldn't it be ideal if doctors identified themselves as gay-friendly so people could choose accordingly? As for the hippocratic oath- ivf is not a treatment- it is an elective procedure. A doctor would not be putting someone's life at risk by refusing it.
    As for priests having the right to refuse to marry a same sex couple- I don't believe that people should be forced (by legislature or whatever) to perform an act that is against their own beliefs. In my mind, demanding that is no different than demanding gay people to live straight.

8. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    We don't exactly have many doctors here either.. most family doctors here have filled up there "quota" of patients. Like, in my home town there are 6 doctors, everyone have filled up their "quota". So if you have a homophobic doctor, you are basically screwed, because they have all filled their quota. So you just have to accept the doctor you have, even though he/she is homophobic. It is IMPOSSIBLE to change. And there are NO waiting lists! So yeah.. this sucks! I feel bad for the lsbians with homophobic doctors:frowning2:

BTW.. I am more and more angry at this new marriage law, it is not complete at all and it opened up for a lot of discrimination! I am aware that I should be happy that we have the law at all and are able to get married etc. And yes, the law probably WOULDN'T have gone through had it not been for the "exceptions", like priests can reserve themselves from doing gay weddings, and doctors can reserve themselves from doing IVF for lesbians.. I get that we probably wouldn't have the law today if it wasn't for the exceptions and reservations because many of the MPs probably would have said no to it if it included forcing doctors and priests. But still.. this is soooo discriminatory! I don't like it one bit, and like I said.. it is IMPOSSIBLE to change family doctor in many places in Norway, it's especially tough in small villages and towns! So these people basically have no option other than to go to Copenhagen (Denmark) where the law is much more liberal.

Again.. It was either this discriminatory law or no law at all, so I'm glad we have it today. I still don't like the discriminatory part though. And also, I even get that doctors want to reserve themselves from DOING the procedure, but they can't even SEND them through to a doctor to do the procedure? THAT is wrong too? So the lesbian couples run into trouble from the start, which is just SAD. This has led to a lot of negative press, which is understandable. And some people now want a register for gay friendly doctors, like they have a register for gay friendly priests.

I hate this shitty country. HATE it! We may have gay marriage, but only 50 % supports it, and I live in the bible belt, and most people here are extremely Conservative and Homophobic. Hell, most of Norway is conservative. I still don't think this country is ready for gay marriage, even though we've had it for two years. Not much have changed, we're still the most conservative and homophobic country in Scandinavia, even all of northern Europe!