1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SMU's Texas College GOP chair resigns after being seen in disparaging YouTube video

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Dan82

http://www.smudailycampus.com/news/...g-seen-in-disparaging-youtube-video-1.2134325

2. Emberstone

Re: SMU's Texas College GOP chair resigns after being seen in disparaging YouTube vid

I thought being a nerd was a good thing in college, pending you are not going to Arizona State University, or another well known party school.

3. Kanen

Re: SMU's Texas College GOP chair resigns after being seen in disparaging YouTube vid

Ugh. And people wonder why I want out of Texas. I'm sick and tired of these homophobic radical Republicans acting like that. I'm tired of rednecks. I'm tired of jocks and their crap. I'm tired of hearing the words "You're a fag." and "That's so gay" on a daily basis.

And Emberstone, you're right, being a nerd is a good thing. But to an empty-headed bigot like that, it's bad thing. Just goes to show you how stupid some people really are.

4. Emberstone

that is why I love being a west coast liberal picco commie... I get to go to school without fear of being chastized for not worshiping at the alter of barbourisem, which is in and of itself, a form of barberisem. our campus republicans have a zero tolerence for racisem, sexisem, and even homophobia.

5. ANightDude

...where in Texas do you live? Because, yes, it does matter.

I'm openly gay and in San Antonio I've never really had to deal with that (a whole lot). Rednecks... what about them? They're gonna be the same in every state. You're saying it like leaving Texas is gonna fix the problem. Reality is is that it won't.

Yeah, we've got a dumbass state government, though. :dry:

6. RaRa

Haha my political science teacher would love this. As much as she tries to stay "neutral," she's always ready to attack Texas at any moment, no matter what it's about. :lol:

7. Kanen

I live in small town that's around Bryan/College Station. I think the fact that it is a small town is what makes it so bad. You would not believe your ears if you heard the amount of homophobic crap that comes out of peoples mouths down here. You live in San Antonio, which is a fairly large city. What kind of school do you go to? 5A? Yeah, I go to a 3A. We have about 166 people in my freshman class. It's different where I live.

And there are tons of reasons I want to leave Texas - I want to get married someday, I want to have kids. In Texas, I can't legally do that stuff. I also believe that up in the northern states (Mass, New York, etc.) there is a lot less homophobia. We have more rights there, so arguably there are more accepting people there.

8. Kevin42

Kevin42 Guest

I live in Bryan/College Station and I would agree it is not the most gay friendly place, even by Texas standards. The university isn't bad, but I wouldn't dream of trying to start a family here. I am so glad I am moving to Houston this summer. Hopefully in a couple of more years you will be able to move out and you won't have to worry anymore :slight_smile:.