1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CA lawmakers fight over bill to teach students about gay people's contributions

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Dan82

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-gay-rights-textbooks-20110402,0,1951209.story

2. Emberstone

what about parents who find the promotion of hate-filled, biggotted religious leaders in lesson plans to be objectionable?

there was parents of two kids in my middle school who tried to get discussions of benjamin franklin and thomas jefferson banned, and replaced with discussions on the contribution of calvanist preachers to america's founding instead.

it caused quite a firestorm in the local religious community, which criticized the plan as inapproprate. they were against evicting the founding fathers from history classes to teach a highly unorthadox religious view of american history that is not even based in historical fact.

3. NickT

I'm not so sure about this. Do we really need this?

[Edit] Oh, silly me. Skimmed through the article and didn't catch that it was mainly just social science textbooks and such. That's fine with me. [/Edit]

4. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This

5. Emberstone

you know when the religious leaders are against the promotion of religious mock-history over real history, that the issue is bad.