1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boehner has no estimate on DOMA defense costs

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Dan82

Boehner has no estimate on DOMA defense costs : Washington Blade – Gay News

2. Emberstone

I am not surprised. He is good with partisan rhetoric, but he isent good with much else. Wheres the jobs you promised? why are you spending all this time blathering on about stopping gays from having equal rights, fighting womens rights, and holding the budget hostage on your culture wars you claimed the election was not about, and was not your priority.

Clearly, his defence of DOMA is merely a ploy to prop up his conservative credentials.

3. RedState

He has been too busy trying to pass the FY2010-2011 budget that the Democratically controlled Congress was too inept to pass last year...along with the other dozen or so appropriations bills that were not passed during the previous session.

4. Emberstone

you mean the constantly filibustered budget?

the budget crisis right now is based on the fact that republicans wont let a budget pass unless their culture war 'riders' are included, such as defunding anything that they percieve as not conforming to their social view of the world.

What good does it do to defend a law that actively discriminates against a sizeable portion of american citizens? What good those it do to hold the budget hostage by requiring any budget passed defund planned parenthood, for which no federal dollars are used to provide abortions anyways under federal law, and for which abortions, as noted by republican john kyl earlier today, barely account for 3% of what P.P. provides in the way of medical practice?

It is nothing more than a culture war. Boehner is only defending DOMA because it is the clear agenda of the republican base to be against equal civil rights for LGBT citizens. He is doing it because the republican voter base's strongest group is the right wing fundie christians, who have a clear and well documented penchant for pushing to legislate homophobia. It is for the same group that they are refusing to allow a budget to be passed until they can defund Planned Parent hood, NPR, PBS, and other institutions that provide services to america that dont conform to the narrow-minded beliefs that right wingers cling too. The financial aspects of the budget were agreed upon days ago, and all that is left is republican leadership useing the budget to hold america hostage until they get their culture war victories.

boehner is pushing a agenda only a far right wing minority wants (most americans support pbs, npr, and yes, even Planned Parenthood because of the fact that it is a providor of cancer and womens health screening, and provides a often more affordable option for women who cant afford to go to their normal doctors for these medical tests.), and using it to roadblock progress in other areas, such as our econamy, which was strong under clinton, collapsed under bush, and only started showing signs of recovery under obama, even with republican filibustering of practically everything.

Boehner will not bother finding out how much his culture war defence of DOMA will cost, because it is not about the cost, it is about appeasing a homophobic base on the far right. It is about stoking the flames of hatred, and keeping those fires burning as hot as possible in america. It is about standing up and saying "your less than us, and we are above you, so screw you, because you dont count."

for all the promises republicans made during the midterms, they broke everyone, including the promise that they were not going to focus on social issues until the econamy was fixed... well, they broke it in the first place, and immediatly upon getting into power in the house, the republicans went straight to culture war social issues.

again, Boehner is only good for right wing rhetoric...

5. RedState

You cannot filibuster in The House of Representatives because their rules do not allow it. This current document had no chance to be filibustered in The Senate last year because The House of Representatives, under Democratic control (which is a simple majority rule body unless legislation is brought under a suspension procedure) did not even originate nor pass one out of the House Budget Committee which was then Chaired by former Rep. John Spratt (D-SC)

How is refusing to fund a $300 million subsidy to Planned Parenthood a roadblock for economic recovery?

he supports DOMA, you do not...that doesn't mean he is going to burn in hell for it, jeez.

Like I have said before, social issues are not my thing.

Hmm, why don't you ask Boehner some more questions aloud, maybe he will answer you back this time :slight_smile:

#5 RedState, Apr 8, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  6. Emberstone

7. RedState

#7 RedState, Apr 8, 2011
  8. aidan

lol boner

9. Zontar

Did he cry over it this time?

10. Emberstone

it is so simple.

clinton=democrat who gave us the strongest econamy with 22million jobs created, a balanced budget *the last republican to balance the budget was esienhower*, a surplus, and the strongest middle class.

so we went from strong econamy to republican president who destoryed 8 million jobs, 5 times as many has were created during those same 8 years, and collapsed the econamy.

republicans want to cut anything they view as 'liberal', which apperent includes women being able to afford preventative care and screening for breast and cervical cancer, and family planning (which cuts down on the number of abortions by helping women not get pregant in the first place if they do not want to).

They also want to spend a unrevealed ammount of money to hire private attorney's to argue that LGBT people have no right to equal protection under the law, and equal rights, including the right to marriage benifits. If they are so worried about cutting costs, why are they willing to spend tax payer dollar's to make it so that LGBT couples cannot be treated equally in a society thats governing document demands they are?

so the people who collapsed the econamy are now trying to save it by removing funding from women's health, and equal rights...

put it this way, america is doomed not because of the democrats, who created economic growth in the last few years with little to no help from the republicans who want to keep all the policies that created the collapse in the first place, and even expand them further. It is doomed because the right wing is pushing to not only demonize and devalue a whole block of america, opress them, and make them pay the bill to hire private attorneys to continue to deny them equal rights.

you can bet boehner and the republicans do know how much it will cost to defend DOMA, which has already been declared unconstitutional by the courts... but they dont want people to know, because how does that look when they are already so busy gutting our budget than realizing that every time a country has tried to do what they are doing, they only destory the econamy further.

we have a revenue problem. the people who can barely get by are paying through the roof on their taxes, while the people who have more money than you can sneeze at barely have to pay anything on theirs.

so while they cut program to women's health, and waste tax payers money to demonize gay people, they are doing nothing that legitimately can be proven to benifit the econamy. they arent cutting the wastful spending, because if they did, they would lose all their campaign funding.

until we fix the revenue problem the republicans have shackled america with, we cant get anywhere. clinton understood that, and our econamy soared and strengthened...

historical fact cannot be reassembled to save face.

11. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Anyone find it funny that DOMA costs more money to institute whereas they still don't get ditching DOMA and letting gay marriages happen would help the economy some more.

12. RedState

We do not have a revenue problem. When are you liberals going to realize that we have a SPENDING problem? Once again you choose to ignore the over $4 trillion in deficit spending that Democrats spent...in only 4 years of complete control of the government...yes, "pay as you go" indeed.
    As for the rest of the nonsense you took from the typical radical left playbook I quote the great Peter Sellers character Sidney Wang, "Argument with you like car with no wheels...very soon get no-where"

#12 RedState, Apr 8, 2011
  13. Emberstone

four years of complete control. bush and republicans blocked democrats quite sucessfully throughout the final two years of the bush presidency.

we only saw economic growth when obama became president.

republicans account for a sizeable chunk of that 4 trillion your talking about.

it is simple. a democratic president left us with a stable, balanced, strong econamy.

republicans controlled all three branches of goverment when they got the white house under bush, and even before the democrats got congress, then had to find bush and the republicans till obama took the oath of office, the econamy collapse, becoming the worst ever.

republicans gave huge taxcuts to the top two percent, and coddled the coorporations, all while useing social issues like the existance of gays, abortion, and scary brown muslims to distract from the fact that their policies took the best econamy in decades, and turned it into the worst.

our jobs market collapsed in the aftermath of bush entitlement welfare tax cuts for the ultra wealthy. our econamy tanked and nosed dived further each time those tax cuts were expanded by the republicans.

all you have to do is chart the econamy, and superimpose the dates when the republican economic policy changes happened, and the econamy will nosedive more each time.

do the same with the democratic economic policies under both clinton and obama, and not surprisingly, the econamy stabilizes and improves.

you can have your fantasy, but history is beyond your ability to rewrite.

and now the republicans want to waste tax payer money to defend a law that prevents a whole group of legal american citizens from their constitutionally mandated equal rights and due process under the law.

if we got rid of coorporate welfare, and fixed the tax system so that everyone who has taxable income pays their fair share, we would not be in this mess.

every country that did what the republicans are pushing to do weakened their econamies, and limited their ability to grow. alot in europe pushed through the same policy of cutting rather than fixing the revenue problem, and in the end, their econamies are worse off.

republicans got elected on the promise of jobs... all they have focused on is fighting a anti-freedom social culture war against the rights of others.

there is a reason no republican since esienhower have ever balanced the budget... because no republican exists like eisenhower. your party has gone so far to the right that america ceases to matter to them. what matters is the payrolls of the people at the very top, and what doesnt matter is the 98% left over. their policies prove it.

Why should they care about the rights of others, like women, gays, and ethnic and racial minorities? they should care because those people are also americans. but they dont care. why would they, when equality means everyone has the oppertunities, and if everyone has oppertunities, they can't profess their non-existant supieroities over minorities and the other groups they pridefully and actively oppresse.

welcome to the real world. either everyone counts, or the republicans need to found their own country where they can have a constitution that says "freedom and liberty for all, except for the blacks, the brown people, the gays, the women, the non fundiementalist christians, the jews, the muslims, the sick, the poor, the middle class, and anyone who doesnt think garth brooks poops sunshine, rainbows, and jesus."

14. RedState

I didn't read your entire post but I imagine it went something like this:
    Republicans want poor and gay people to die...Republicans want only rich white people to vote...Hitler was a Republican...or something like that...kinda reminds me of the time I saw "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" on DVD all those times for some reason (I think i must have been drunk)...I always knew what was coming

The republicans contributed to that $4 trillion? Maybe during their 6 years...but sorry bud, you are dead wrong on that one. That other $4 trillion is all on you..sorry to the bearer of bad news, but according to the CBO after 6 years of complete Republican control the 10 year projected deficit was close to $4 trillion...after 4 years of complete Dem control the CBO projection was close to $8 trillion...well $7.7 trillion to be exact.

But, oh I forgot, the Devil made them do it right?

Hope you have a good night :slight_smile:

#14 RedState, Apr 8, 2011
  15. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dudes, this is a thread on DOMA. It feels like I've stumbled into a bizarre economics* discussion on the federal budget. Can we pwease get back on the topic of the news articleee? If ya's want to discuss the budget then feel free to PM each other to your hearts content. I won't feel the urge to harm myself because of reading budget debates then. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

*I was never actually smart enough to study economics (and it would bore the shit out of me), so I could be completely wrong there. Either way this is way too mathsy for my likinggg.

16. Emberstone

okay, martin, just one last question to redstate, seeing as all redstate wants to do is attribute to me things I did not say in my posts. I really want people to be able to see his answer (or as usual, ignore it, and take more petty swipes)

If republican economic policies is so great and wonderful for america, how come they inheriented from clinton the strongest econamy in decades, with 21-22 million jobs created, the strongest middle class, and a balanced budget with a surplus, and then took over, enacted all of their economic policies, and the econamy collapsed?

boehner doesnt care. he wont tell us how much it costs because he just dosent care how much it will cost to deny americans their civil rights. It is his parties agenda, openly spoken with pride, to deny equality to americans, and not just LGBT americas. They are right now attacking women's health, and attacking hispanic americans for looking 'illegal'.

Civil rights only matter to Boehner when it is his civil rights.

the Courts have already declared DOMA unconstitutional, it has just not gone to the supreme court yet for final decleration... and while Boehner enjoys that he has 100% full civil rights, he is going to ensure that we have 70% civil rights, even though that itself in unconstitutional.

17. RedState

Jesus, get over yourself dude. Go out and get drunk or get laid or something...I've responded to everything you have thrown...its you who refuse to address the points I have made...you ignore (once again) the $4 trillion your party had added to the debt and you ignore the inability for your party to pass a budget when they controlled the entire government.

I could say the same thing about Reagan...he had one of the strongest non war-time economies in our history...with huge economic growth and the creation of close to 20 million jobs.
    I guess Reaganonimcs didn't work at all huh?

I never said that Clinton was not a good president. I actually liked him...he was smart...he had street smarts and knew his political limits. He knew how to work with a completely controlled republican congress to get things done. Clinton never submitted one policy during his presidency remember, nor did he completely advocate an entitlement society like this current crowd. He knew (as did the Republican Congress) that the key to growth was not government handouts, but for the government to foster a good economic surrounding.

Have a good night:smilewave
    Go out and have fun! I am!

#17 RedState, Apr 8, 2011
  18. Emberstone

didnt answer the questions. I am asking about something specific. if the policies of the party you defend are so great, why did they collapse the econamy?

it is extremely simple.

do you have a answer, or are you going to insult me rather than answer a simple question.

how is me going out and getting drunk or laid relevant?

simple question...

19. Meropspusillus

Yeah! Ending political arguments with personal arguments is real mature. Also, rose-colored glasses are great.

20. RedState

The issue with the economy is traced back not to one particular party, but rather to all those, republicans and democrats, who were involved with government really from the late 70's till now. If you want to go back further it can go back to even the Truman and Eisenhower administrations, because that is when Congress really started making financial promises that future generations could not keep. So, things really kinda started from there.
    The genesis of this current situation was the sub-prime mortgage industry, which actually can be traced back to the CRA in 1979.
    We have had mortgage backed securities on the market for over 40 years, but this new invention was kinda a shiny new toy for investors..a way to make a lot of money real fast.
    Now, from there things built over time and with the expansion of GSA's like Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac they began to take over $5 trillion in the real estate market.
    It was actually G.W. Bush that first stated in his Executive Budget in FY 2001-2002 that these 2 GSE's needed to be reigned in. Congress (then controlled by republicans) did not act, and the Democrats were not much better. After all it was Rep. Barney Frank (D-MA) that stated on the House Floor that should Fannie and Freddie collapse it was not have any impact on our economy. It was Frank and Sen Chris Dodd (D-CT) that were these 2 entities biggest defenders.

Companies like AIG, Lehman Bros, and every investment firm on wall street became heavily vested with these securities.

Fast forward: All of a sudden, these people that took out a mortgage with a flexible rate instead of a 30-year fixed (who were making $70,000 yet took a mortgage on a $600,000 house) say their payments jump from $700 a month to $4,000 a month because interest rates rose. Home owners and developers defaulted across the country.

Wall Street Firms, who had billions invested in these ventures lost...in turn, their clients lost.

The Dow, which is like a spoiled child in the sense that when it hears bad news it throws a tantrum, reacted accordingly and lost close to 8,000 points from it's high.

From there, things spiraled. People continued to sell their assets on the NYSE and NASDAQ because of panic and businesses stopped spending and held on to what they could.

In a nut shell, the primary reason is a few things:
    1)The Government (both repubs and dems) created regulations the pressured financial institutions to start lending radically
    2)The banks, for being dumb enough to give a $600,000 loan to someone who they knew could not pay it
    3)The consumer, for being dumb enough to take a loan they couldn't afford
    4)Wall Street, for being extremely greedy

Simple question yes....but not a simple answer