1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kobe Bryant: I Used To Beat Up Kids In High School Who Teased My Gay Friends

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Dan82

http://www.sportsgrid.com/nba/kobe-...ids-in-high-school-who-teased-my-gay-friends/

2. Shevanel

Fag is the worst thing you could call a gay person? Huh.

3. RaRa

This is getting silly. Leave the guy alone! I and everyone else have said worse while heated.

(yeah I got your back Kobe if you know what I mean :wink:)

4. Zontar

>defending a slip of the tongue by telling everyone he used to beat up people

5. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Be that as it may, him defending himself by saying he beat up people who picked on his friends, he still is just trying to make himself seem pro-gay. He still said it and being in the public eye he shouldn't have.

6. Kevin42

Kevin42 Guest

To me it seems like alot of progress that a professional basketball player would want to appear gay friendly!

He slipped up, he apologized, he payed 100k, and he is trying to appear gay friendly. Seems like more than enough to make up for a slur said in a moment of anger.

7. Rikudo

Jesus so now he's being pc about it doing the whole "I'm not *enter discriminator name* I have *enter minority of choice* friend" deal.

People just need to move on it was clearly a spur of the moment.

8. Emberstone

every article I read implied that people 'thought' he said it, but no one could confirm it.

If he did, well, he is a asshole, but he has a history of asshattery, so should we be shocked.

if he didn't, and people are just assuming he did, then lay off.

in the end, I could care less. I don't really care how many points they score, or how large their contract is. I don't care what they do or say. I really don't understand why we pedestal sports figures.

9. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

Maybe the gay friends he defended are the same ones Sarah Palin has :rolle:

10. Emberstone

I think it is telling that these so-claimed gay friends never come to their defences when they make the claim to backtrack their bigottry.

11. Danielle

Danielle Guest

Kobe Bryant might be homophobic but one spur of the moment comment is hardly worthy of the fine he received and is not a justification to brand him as a bigot.

12. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Agreed.

I was willing to wait and see how this played out before forming an opinion on Kobe with this, but that all went out the window with his "I'm sorry IF you were offended/I didn't mean it" non-apology style apology, plus appealing the fine. There are a lot of universal words that could have been called out in anger. I'm tired of people throwing out homophobic or racist slurs like this and then retorting with "but I have a gay/black/Latino/Asian friend/brother/sister/cousin twice removed/etc" thinking this makes it all better. If anything, knowing these types of people should make you want to use derogatory words such as this one even less.

13. Flyers2011

I heard that they caught him on video saying 'you're a f***ing fag' to the ref.

However I have not seen said video, but it wouldn't surprise me if he did.