1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sex ed classes would require parental permission under O.C. lawmaker's bill

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Dan82

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...permission-under-oc-lawmakers-plan.html?lanow

2. NickT

*Bangs head against a wall*

3. Gothitil

Gothitil Guest

That's what my school did...like 7 years ago when I as in 4th grade. o.o

4. Daryn

Why are there eggs scrambling in the street?
    I'm pretty sure I had to have a permission slip for the sex ed unit in health last year. Which I think is pretty pathetic because it was just some lady telling us to wait until marriage.

5. Tim

Tim

... I had to have a permission slip in 6th and 8th grade when we did sex ed.

It's not really something new for most states. I have no disagreement with it at all. It is up to the parents if they want to teach the child themselves, or have them learn from teachers.

6. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just more crap of a religious bigot trying to prevent any form of sex straight or gay.

7. RedState

i don't think this has anything to do with religious bigots...this is nothing new and I have no problem with it. Back in my home state when I took sex ed in middle school I had to have a permission slip.

Parents still do actually play a role in all this, and if they don't want their child to take sex ed from a public school, then they should have that right. What's wrong with that?

And why is this even LGBT news?

8. aidan

americans are so prudish

9. Gothitil

Gothitil Guest

Anyone who creates such a generalization like that, as to include hundreds of millions of people is ignorant. :x

10. RedState

You're just jealous because we won the War back in the 1700's. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. aidan

Hmph. You can see straight through me. :icon_sad:

Not intended to be a factual statement.

12. Aya McCabre

We sort of had permission slips..... we had mandatory sex ed that didn't need permission, and then there was the extra thing after school once every couple of years that was basically scare tactics..... it involved graphic photos of STDs so that one needed permission slips.

13. Enaithor

We had permission slips but they weren't actual permission slips really. In year 6 we had mandatory sex ed (mostly about puberty) but in year 11 we had more sex ed (mostly about sex) that wasn't mandatory but if we didn't hand in the permission slip then it was assumed that we were allowed, it was more of a slip to say to the parents "if you wanna be a hoebag and pull yo' kid out of class do it now otherwise we be telling yo' kid 'bout how to be a good fuck"

14. Hot Pink

Sex education has always been a controversial topic. Conservative people see it as a means of teaching kids how to have sex, but it's really teaching them about safe sex and even about themselves.

I don't beat around the bush with this: teenagers have sex. There, I said it. We all know it's true and the statistics prove it to be, so I don't live in denial of it. I'm in the camp that says that if they're doing it, they might as well do it smart. Not teaching them results in the spreading of STD's and unwanted pregnancies.

Myself, we weren't given proper sex education until I was 15. Before that, we were taught about how our bodies would change and about STD's, but we weren't given the context. I spent 15 years thinking I was alone, until they taught us about transgendered people.

15. Meropspusillus

He's right though. The American ethos is definitely a very prudish one, even if some Americans aren't prudes themselves.