1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boy in high heels removed from class

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Dan82

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/dpp/ne...boy-in-high-heels-removed-from-class-04212011

2. Hot Pink

Well, it's good that the student was removed because the teacher was afraid for him, not that he felt that he couldn't express himself. On the other hand, it's unfortunate that the students make expressing himself a "distraction."

Not sure if the boy mentioned was transsexual or not, but I do believe that people should be able to wear whatever they want. Speaking from experience, I felt oppressed when I was forced to wear male clothes--I still do. It's distracting for my education when I can't express myself, especially being an artist.

3. roborama

i was in florida this week and this was on the news, the way my grandpa took it made me sad:/ (probably best not to elaborate)

4. RedState

yeah, you should be able to wear what you want...but temper action with wisdom. You are a dude in high school...and you wear high heels to class...and...what do you think is going to happen?

If that would have happened in my high school during the years I was there??? I don't know if the dude would have made it out of the classroom. Just sayin'

#4 RedState, Apr 26, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  5. Aya McCabre

It's not up to the school to stop him being bullied for it. He must have known it would get him bullied, he chose to do it anyway. If he continued to do it then that would be his choice - no one made him. He didn't need the school to tell him how to avoid name calling.

6. Mogget

Actually, it is the school's responsibility to keep him from being bullied. And we should always be wary of placing the blame for being bullied (or otherwise victimized) on the victim.

7. Aya McCabre

That's kind of what I'm saying..... it's the school's job to stop it but they shouldn't be stopping it in this way. It seems to me like they are blaming the victim..... they're telling him he has to change but taking no action towards the people who are bullying him.

8. RedState

well, just a little dose of reality here. Without question, people don't need to be bullied simply for being different. However, sometimes people need to use their damn heads and not put themselves in a position to have shit thrown at them.
    It's called common sense.
    For example: everyone knows there are bad parts of Birmingham and Washington that are dangerous, and if you go to them there is a good chance you will get robbed...or not show back up at all. So, I use my brains and don't go there.

I'm sorry, sometimes you ask for trouble...and (as i stated before) you are a dude in high school and you wear high heals? What the hell do you think is going to happen there?

The school was certainly right in their efforts to protect him against any violence...but come on...you can't be serious in thinking that this dude wasn't asking for trouble doing that.

9. endless poetry

Women used to be given unequal pay (still do in some cases) but does that does not mean it is right to stop working or stop fighting for equal pay based on irrelevant bases of discrimination (such as gender) Even though careers were male-dominated areas, and women may have been met with many hardships as they tried to enter the workforce, it is not rightful for women to stop fighting just as it is not right to oppress such a right.

Now a high school kid decides he is going to wear heels to school... in a free and democratic nation (meaning the states) this is an irrelevant circumstance to base discrimination upon. Just as a kid shouldn't be beaten up for being black, white or purple. Society constantly needs those who challenge the status quo in order to move forward.

In this case, just as it is wrong to beat him up for wearing heels, it is not rightful to blame him for peacefully challenging the norms of society.

10. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Do you really think he didn't think about it twice before putting the heels on? These are the kind people who make change happen. People who aren't afraid of going outside the norm and being bullied for it.

"What did he expect going into the white section?! He was asking for it!" Sounds familiar?

Following your logic we would suggest everyone not to come out until they are "old enough" and to never mention it to anyone unless they want to get beaten.

Now, I'm not saying begin reckless with your well being is the answer. I'm just saying that there is much more to this than you make it out to be.

11. Hot Pink

I admire this kid. He has a lot more courage than I do.

12. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I didn't think even GIRLS wear high heels in high school to class?

13. Daryn

Why are there eggs scrambling in the street?
    I'm totally afraid to wear heels to school, and I'm a girl. With my personality, me in heels would make people stare- it'd be unexpected. That kid's got some guts wearing heels to school. I admire it.

14. RedState

I don't think there is much more to this at all.
    "There are the kind of people that make change happen" Well, what kind of change exactly. If you ask me this changes nothing but simply adds to the stereotype that all gay men are these flamers prancing around. That is a stereotype that I don't this is accurate.

I hardly think a dude wearing high heels can be compared to the Civil Rights Movement, or Rosa Parks refusing to give up her seat.

Once again, no one should be bullied or harassed because they are different, however sometimes people simply need to use their ability to think. What did he expect people to say? "Oh, nice heels...are those Jimmy Choos?"

15. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

What kind of change? The same change that a couple of gays holding hands had back when it was really taboo to be seen in public together. The same kind of change that people made when they kept going to gay bars even though they were being raided by police often, and the same kind of change that people made when going to pride parades even when they knew they were going to be treated like shit and thrown to jail for it.

Is the change of "I'm done and tired of being afraid, so I'm going to do what I feel is right." So, yes, I will very much compare it to any other silly act like refusing to give up a seat because that is simply what you believe is right.

The point is that this kid is doing exactly what he feels like doing. He didn't want kids to admire his heels. He just simply wanted to wear them and that's that. Now, if you don't like how this teenager is handling things then why don't you step up and show us how "real men" do it while also showing the world that you are a "tough gay" and not one of "them flamers."

16. RedState

I really don't understand what you are implying in the last part of your post, and quite frankly, I think it is a little off base.

But to answer your question, I would start off by not wearing heels, I would prolly lose by balance...maybe a nice open-toed number now that it's spring perhaps?

as far as the rest of my post, I stand by every word.

#16 RedState, Apr 28, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  17. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Fair enough :slight_smile:

18. MyDecember

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    We don't do that with criminals, like if someone breaks into my house because they saw I had a nice car...I don't hear the police saying I should get a shitty car because I'm asking to get robbed. Or telling women that they were asking for a rape because they were dressed in a way that captures attention or telling a student to change shoes in which he is proud of or else his wellbeing will be in danger :/ stupid school

---------- Post added 28th Apr 2011 at 12:59 PM ----------

:rolle:

#18 MyDecember, Apr 28, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  19. Tim

Tim

One of my friends wore High Heels every Friday in High School.

Honestly, I didn't really care. He liked them, he was happy and confident in them. I walked with him through 1st, 2nd, and 3rd period together, as we shared those classes. No one even bothered to look at us half the time.

And honestly, no one ever commented on them, aside from the initial asking why.

I do believe if you think that someone was "asking for it" by WEARING something... then you either think way too bad of other people, or you have an opinion yourself you don't want to admit.

20. Rikudo

Gotta agree there with Redstate.