1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pakistan introduces 'third gender' option

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by partietraumatic, Apr 26, 2011.

1. partietraumatic

2. Hot Pink

Well, it's not really that surprising if you know the history of the region. The third gender has been around since ancient times. They were once revered, in fact.

3. partietraumatic

I will admit that I'm not an expert on the region, but I think its fair to say they are hardly the most progressive country on these sort of issues. Which is why this surprised me.

4. Emberstone

'third gender' really only began to decline when the abrehamic religions started powergrabbing.

5. Zontar

Transsexuals...don't need their own option on forms. Even though you're in the wrong body, it's still either one or the other. Pakistan's not forward thinking; in fact, they're completely doing it wrong...

6. Hot Pink

No, you don't understand the culture. The third gender allows certain freedoms that you don't get from being male or female. If you're male, you're married to a woman you don't even know and expected to provide for a large community. It's a lot of pressure. If you're female, you married to guy you don't even know and you're expected to make babies and cook and clean for the entire community. Also a lot of work and pressure. The third gender is free from all of that.

7. Aya McCabre

There are lots of cultures that have a third gender option as a distinct identity..... and the people who are raised with that would often prefer to use that identity rather than male or female. There was a movement to have a third gender option on our census forms but the census was cancelled this year.