1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hearing set for motion to disqualify Prop 8 judge

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Dan82

http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world/hearing-set-for-motion-927111.html

2. Kidd

Kidd Guest

I am so excited for this hearing. It's going to be a humiliating defeat for the Proposition 8 supporters on a level that has up to this point never been seen before. It's going to trump "Where's Delores?!" Everything they're saying completely undermines everything they said at the original trial. This is their argument...in a nutshell.

1. They have standing to appeal because they somehow--no one has clarified how, exactly--they are impacted by our ability to get a marriage license.

2. Walker can't be impartial because he is in a gay relationship and could/will benefit from his decision.

3. Therefore...they are suggesting that a heterosexual judge would be impartial because he wouldn't have a dog in the hunt, and would be unaffected.

I hope it's televised.

3. ArcusPravus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Doesn't the argument hinge on presumption that a straight judge would not be biased? Or are they attacking that he's in a relationship? If it's only that he's gay, then don't they have to prove that a straight judge has nothing to gain from the ruling as well? And wouldn't that completly invalidate one of their core arguments that gay marriage devalues straight marriage? There is so little logic in this move that it baffles my mind, but then again, that is to be expected from this group.

4. Emberstone

I think that the hearing was fast-tracked to get it out of the way so the case can continue in the proper channels and format.