1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How the 'London Taliban' is threatening women and trying to ban gays

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, May 3, 2011.

1. Dan82

I have no clue how credible this article is the Daily Mail appears to be a legitimate news source but I’ve generally found people who are concerned about Sharia Law to be kooks.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rgeting-women-gays-bid-impose-sharia-law.html

2. RedState

I don't find this surprising at all....the ones that are the kooks are the ones that believe and practice this radical nonsense. Homosexuality is a crime punishable by death according to these lunatics.

3. Emberstone

it is also a crime punishable by death in judiesm and christanity...

4. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    touché

5. Dan82

Maybe I wasn’t clear enough. I meant that in the United States people who think Sharia law is a threat within the USA are always paranoid, islamaphobic nuts. I have no clue if Sharia is an actual threat in the UK or they just have similar bunch of kooks; I suspect it’s the latter.

6. aidan

I suspect you're right. The Daily Mail is essentially Fox News UK.

7. RedState

Doesn't make it right...that was my point.

I'm sorry I hate to, once again, be kinda politically incorrect, but it hasn't been a bunch of Presbyterians, Roman Catholics or Jews that have been blowing people up recently.

#7 RedState, May 3, 2011
    Last edited: May 3, 2011
  8. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why do the psychotic ones immigrate to other parts of the world that don't share their ideals?

9. Gothitil

Gothitil Guest

No, but it is a bunch of protestants and Roman Catholics who blew up or set fire to abortion clinics and killed abortion doctors for "revenge". This does happen still too.

Anti-abortion violence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you don't trust Wikipedia, find news articles about everything they have stated.

Seems like you're just nitpicking at a certain culture to me saying that they're the only ones who do it, when that is most certainly not the case.
    To me, it just seems like they have the belief that they should spread their beliefs. When in reality, all they're doing is alienating themselves, and therefore their beliefs. I don't see why they don't see that.

The only reason terrorism gained any momentum in the middle east is because people viewed it as the only way to overthrow the oppressive regimes they were under. Now that people have found more effective ways of bringing them down, there has been a steep documented decline in the growth of new terrorist forces.

---

Please ignore any grammar failures in this post. For some reason I am typing worse than usually.

#9 Gothitil, May 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2011
  10. Fintan

That's your opinion, and by expressing that you are promoting bigotry. Heck, you're promoting the same hatred these zealous muslims are.

Don't tell Christians or Jews that they can't be ok with homosexuality. Your version of Christianity/Judaism is not the same that the majority of the faithful subscribe to.

Hence:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPZ5eUrNF24[/YOUTUBE]

#10 Fintan, May 3, 2011
  11. Emberstone

so basically pointed out that the religious belief systems of judiesm and christanity promote the same idea that homosexuality is punishable by death (read their text), you going to bite my head off for pointing out what their own text profess? I was stating a fact, not commenting on it.

12. Fintan

Your intrepretation is basically that of an extreme-fundamentalist, of which there are very few... and using your logic, all muslims must be terrorists based on verses in the Quran. Both are blatently untrue.

Nobody I know, even the most conservative of Christians or Christian Churches, are saying homosexuals should be executed.

You can't cherry-pick lines from the Bible and let them stand on their own without the context of the rest of the book. And you certainly can't say all Christians are something because a few believe/do something.

So, either you are extremely naieve or quite the religious bigot.

13. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    STOP CALLING PEOPLE BIGOTS

I am sick to death of it, you are TOTALLY off the mark EVERY time. You're a sophist and a liar.

14. RedState

I'm not nitpicking at all, I'm simply pointing out what is on the nightly news and in the newspapers on an almost daily basis.

And you are right as well, the abortion nuts that revert to violence are just that..nuts. However, the amount of violence that has been carried out by these extremists seems to be an all too common occurrence now-a-days sadly.

#14 RedState, May 3, 2011
  15. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Come on guys. Lets keep the discussion on topic and restrain ourselves from name-calling.

16. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, that's your logic, putting words in other peoples' mouths. Straw-man argument.

Neither was he. He was talking about dogma, not christian people. Why are you bringing up christian people when all that's been discussed is the dogma?

WHO is talking about all christians? Only you. Again. You have done this before. You get on your high horse and you browbeat based on nothing. It sickens me.

Besides, let's go do some quoting, shall we? You can provide the context for the rest of us since we're all obviously uninformed bigots and you're the authority on the issue.

First, the most obvious one. Then a couple more of the many.

If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.

The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.

For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:
    And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.
    And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
    Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,
    Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,
    Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:
    Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind

I could go on. Please, enlighten me with some context.

And you are an unscrupulous browbeater.

---------- Post added 4th May 2011 at 02:30 PM ----------

Sorry, i just couldn't let that pass.

17. Emberstone

Fintin, there is not denying that judiesm and christanity both include a call to put homosexuals to death. that is historical fact, and is based both in the history of both religions, and in the very texts they still follow today.

I was making the point that both judiesm and christanity include the call to put homosexuals to death. it is right there in their texts, and many of those text are the same source *since the christian bible includes the jewish text where the proclimation of putting homosexuals to death is found*.

Ironicly, I am and has been open about the fact that I am a christian, and throughout these boards, have criticized fundementalisem in christanity.

But your forcing meaning and intentions into peoples posts that just ARENT there.

it is recorded fact that jewish and christian law *as laid out in their religious texts* call for homosexuals to be put to death, and through their history, that has been fulfilled.

also, there are christians who still proclaim that gays should be put to death:

Newsvine - Pastor Tells New Times Government Should Put Homosexuals to Death

Americans’ Role Seen in Uganda Anti-Gay Push - NYTimes.com

GOP-linked punk rock ministry says executing gays is ‘moral’ | Minnesota Independent: News. Politics. Media.

GOP House candidate says AIDS is punishment for sin of homosexuality | Iowa Independent

need I go on? these are all recent examples.

it happens.

there, I have commented on it, provided evidence, and really don't see what else I can do.

But stating recorded fact does not make me a bigott, in the same way that stating the facts of the holocaust does not make me a nazi...

18. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Fundamentalism works best in a hostile environment. Terrorists want to inflict as much damage and fear as they possibly can to get their message across, but they aren't necessarily always able to do that in their own country. For example, the London bombings on July 7th 2005 attracted worldwide condemnation and (iirc) even forced America to increase their security level due to a fear that an attack may be imminent there. I don't mean to sound insensitive when I say this because it was a horrific act of terrorism, but what actually happened isn't any different to what happens in places like Iraq on a daily basis. The terrorists involved in the London bombings placed a bomb on a busy vehicle, and that is something that happens pretty frequently in places like Iraq. The news are often reporting it as minor headlines with a tagline of "1 soldier and 10 civilians killed by roadside bomb" or something like that.

It's the message they can get across that motivates them to move to these environments and disrupt the social order. If you advocate for the killing of Americans in somewhere like Afghanistan, Iraq or even Pakistan then you're not going to cause too much of a fuss as these places are portrayed as having animus towards America and Western democracy. If you then take that same message and place it in the middle of London then the news will be all over it, politicians will react to it, and civilians will condemn it and become hostile to that message. That, to an extremist, is a job well done, and it is something best done in a society that isn't stereotyped as being dysfunctional and full of extremist violence.

That's not to say that those countries in the Middle East are dysfunctional and full of extremists, but it's the message that mainstream media subtly present to us when they discuss how problematic things are over there in the war, and how terrorists are fighting tooth and nail to prevent democracy. Whether or not we agree with that interpretation of the news isn't necessarily relevant, but I think it plays a role in reducing the levels of apathy that we have for terrorism in 'enemy' countries. Some countries are forced to witness London bombing style attacks frequently, and yet it's the one that happened in London that had global acknowledgement and forced other countries to be on high alert.

That's why fundamentalists move to other countries. They get the reaction they want, and in doing so their message is heard.

19. Holliepop

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Daily Mail isn't exactly reliable. It blows things out of proportion and it's biased. It's quite a Tory paper so it probably doesn't like Muslims anyway.

However, I know there are Muslim extremists in the UK, but they are such a small minority that they will never put Sharia Law into place, that's just a pipe dream.

And anyway, if Muslim extremists get stronger, the English'll become more racist and scared. Which may effect votes when it comes to the next General Election. So, I believe it is VERY VERY unlikely. I see it as a few vandals wanting to get attention.

20. Idonteven

Oh I'm sorry, I forgot Tories hate muslims. Oh wait the Party Chairman is one, nevermind.

By all means bash the Daily Mail though, its a trashy paper, much like the sun. :rolle: