1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Teacher who placed Craigslist sex ad can be fired

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, May 5, 2011.

1. Dan82

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/05/05/BAD61JC06S.DTL&tsp=1

2. Emberstone

seems less about his sexual orientation, and more about the fact he was soliciting sex in a public place.

I think the ruling was valid.

3. Gothitil

Gothitil Guest

This.

4. Dan82

It’s not a “public place” it’s a web site that directly warns people that the content sexual explicit. Why was the father looking at that section of the website if he finds it offensive?

5. Ridiculous

Craigslist is not a public place. If internet sites were considered public places, then a great deal would be taken down for breaching 'indecency' laws or some other law that is not permitted in public places.

And why is sex being vilified here? Sex is perfectly natural and it shouldn't be viewed as something bad; it doesn't affect his ability to teach, he was doing it in an entirely disconnected way from his teaching (I assume) and also in a private and discrete way (as Dan said you have zero chance of finding out this unless you were looking for it in the first place... it's not like he was doing it in a park toilet block).

The only message the judges are giving is that sex is a bad thing and anyone that has sex is unfit to come into contact with children.

6. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sick of people's private lives being used to erode their professional image in their public lives.

7. ilovedogs9

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Exactly. I think that what happens in bed should stay in bed, to be blunt. And unless he's sleeping with a student, which obviously isn't the case at hand here, it does not affect his teaching ability in any way. Plenty of teachers are married, having sex, and getting pregnant, and they're still fully capable of teaching their students. Are we really going back to the old days where a schoolhouse teacher must be young and unmarried to be able to teach something to their students? I thought we got over this nearly a century ago.

8. Shevanel

Imagine how you would feel if you accidentally saw your teacher naked on a site like that.

9. Mogget

I recently saw one of my professor's dating site profile. It included, shall we say, measurements, explicit ones. It in no way impacted his ability to teach me even if it was really, really squicky. Same thing applies here. Teachers have sex, students shouldn't be sheltered from that.

10. Shevanel

This is a middle school teacher. He posted explicit pictures of himself. I reiterate. Imagine you're 13 years old, and you see your teacher naked on the internet while screwing around with your friends.

11. Mogget

I'd be totally squicked out, yeah, but it would hardly be the end of the world. Besides, I'd have to have been looking for this to find it. It was in the "looking for sex" portion of Craigslist. Caveat emptor as far as I'm concerned.

12. Holliepop

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm sure they'd see it as perfect blackmail material tbh.

I don't know what to think of this. I think it was a bit silly of him to do something like this, I mean, can't you make it anonymous, apart from like .. your email address of phone number? I mean, the dad isn't exactly going to ring all of them to find out which one is a teacher. Though I find it quite funny that the dad was looking at it in the first place. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Actually, yeah, that's kind of careless of him.

I accidentally came across my teacher's facebook, with all of this drunk photos on. Thankfully, there wasn't anything scarring, but I did think "Dude, you should have made this private, what if another student who's much more malicious finds this?"

#12 Holliepop, May 6, 2011
    Last edited: May 6, 2011
  13. Shevanel

As far as I'm concerned, Craigslist is where people go to laugh.

14. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This was the right decision in my book. Teachers at the junior and senior high level have a responsibility to set a positive tone and example for their kids. It's great to say what a teacher does in his or her private life should not really matter but where things are with the Internet, those lines become blurred.

He could have been discreet; he could have posted on a membership-only site, not posted nude pics, and in general used more discretion. Craigslist is, essentially, a public forum. Anyone can have access, and it is a general-audience site. It would be somewhat different if he was on a gay social networking site or something like that.

It sucks, but honestly, if he wants that sort of public visibility on the net, he should have chosen a different career.

btw, with regard to Liam's comments... I think it's a different deal at the college level; students are adults, and while it might be gross to see naked pics of your prof, the students should be able to handle that, and the students are not looking up to teachers as role models and people to emulate.

15. x2x2x2x2y2

This is stupid, imo. Why go on a site if your going to be offended and whine about it. If these people can't handle seeing someone naked, then wtf are they doing on a section of craigslist called "Men Seeking Men"?? lol Yeah, maybe the teacher should've made it more anonymous, but getting him fired is overboard. If people were afraid their kids were going to see it, they should be using that energy to stop them from going on craigslist into a section that's obviously sexual.

16. Emberstone

craigslist is public. anyone can post, and any one can respond.

is it really appropriate for a teacher to use soliciting sex online? this isent about his sexual orientation, but the public way he choose to seek sex.

17. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

I think its stupid how what teachers do in their private life can get them fired..

18. Emberstone

there was nothing private about posting a seeking sex post on craigslist.

19. Meropspusillus

There is nothing private about anything on the internet. Even sites like EC that require registration are hardly private.

20. GuardianKitten

What does this have to do with his teaching? Really. Yes, using craigslist for a hooker is stupid, but