1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Santorum: People Who Wnat a Truce on Moral Issues, Don't Understand America

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, May 6, 2011.

1. Dan82

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93LbK4dZfjw&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

2. Emberstone

we already know he is a assy douchebag...

America is not about "lets fuck everyone's lives up by saying that because you arent me, go to hell."

3. V128

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OH... now I get it. Straight families are strong (anyone watch Dr. Phil in the last 10 years?) but homosexual families are weak (anyone watch Dr. Phil in the last 10 years?).

4. Emberstone

Santorum needs to learn that not everyone masterbates to jerry falwell...

plus, his haircut makes him look like some ned flanders robot.

5. RedState

I'm not a Santorum fan but, and I think he has some out-there views on homosexuality, but...regardless if you like him or not--regardless if yo agree with his positions or not--he's right in a way.

Why would you want to draw a truce on something you passionately believe in? For those of you who are adamant about legalizing gay marriage, do you think you should simply call a truce on that...just because some people find it upsetting? No, you wouldn't...and if it is what you are passionate about you shouldn't.

People that are passionate about protecting the life of an un-born child..that is what they believe in, and I don't think they should simply say "oh well, some people are uncomfortable about this so i guess I will simply stop caring"

Moral issues always have and always will be part of politics. If one candidate wasn't talking about morals, one of his opponents would be talking about his lack of them.

Look, I don't really talk about moral issues (social issues, just not my thing) because I drink too much and I'm a slut at times...but I respect people that do.

To ask someone to draw a "truce" (which I think is absurd and the height of coward-ness) is asking people to simply stop caring and speaking out about the issues they feel passionately about...and in this context, Santorum is right

#5 RedState, May 6, 2011
    Last edited: May 6, 2011
  6. Emberstone

"We hold these truths to be self-evident: That all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness; that, to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed."

life, liberty, and the pursuit of happyness are suposed to be granted to all americans.

"Congress shall make no law respecting the establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

goverment cannot legislate religious beliefs, for that would both infringe upon freedom of religion of those citizens who supscribe to a different belief, and also be a endorsement by goverment of one religions beliefs over anothers.

"All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

So, we have the founding document of the delceration of indepence, and two passages from the constitution of the united states of america, a document upon which our nation is built and maintained.

Sorry Santorum, but the constitution says your wrong.

also, it should be noted that this was a fox news event, and no one has been calling for a 'truce'. it was a calculated question straight out of the 'culture war handbook': fabrications are a great way to strike fear into the hearts of the mindless sycophants.

7. RedState

Well then I suggest that you send a PM to Dan82 and request that he change the title of the thread if you have a problem with my using the word truce.

Thank you for that fine quote form our historical documents...you know I know, me just being a dumb southerner I'm always thrilled to get lectures on the founding documents.

Here's another quote for you: "taxation without representation"...no one asked me if I wanted a 1040 Form :slight_smile:

You, once again, are missing my entire fucking point..which is why i though the placement of your quotations to be really odd.

Moral arguments and fights will always be a part of politics...always have, always will. If you think we should simply forget about about moral issues, than good for you...it's not a big deal with me. But something tells me that you will not stop speaking out about, nor caring about, the social issues that you care so deeply about. Nor should you...and nor should any one else that thinks differently than you.

8. Dan82

actually Mitch Daniels has been.

---------- Post added 6th May 2011 at 07:21 PM ----------

Um you have representatives in both houses of congress that’s representation.

9. RedState

Jesus Christ, it was a joke Dan...that's what the smiley face was for.
    Christ...

#9 RedState, May 6, 2011
  10. Dan82

You have no idea how many people make that statement and really mean it.

11. RedState

Understood..I work in this business so I understand there are a lot of nuts out there.

12. Emberstone

well, my point is that no matter what santorum's moral hangups are, the constitution is clear I am granted the right to be free of the opression he wants to enact upon my life because of his moral hang ups.

I apolagize for not pointing out that it was a responce to santorum, more than you.

Santorum can take his fake morals, and... well, I am sure one can guess what comes next.

but the difference redstate is that the constitution only protects his right to in his own life to have it narrow minded, hatefilled, intolerent, homophobic beliefs...

but the constitution states that the rest of us are to be protected from our rights being trampled on by the likes of Santorum.

Also, america would not exist if it was not for taxes to pay for all those things like roads, the military, fire departments, police officers, state and national parks, etc... all of which are only possible becaue of taxes.

13. RedState

Well, that's fine...but I am almost certain that I pay more on my 1040 than you...just sayin...but I am very happy to keep people up..after all..it is the "the thing to do" right?

And, Emberstone, the Constitution also protects..well...whatever it is you believe as well. I am glad you have discovered this document! That is very good...a positive step forward! Good for you!

But I do have news for you...the constitution also protects people that disagree with you...I suggest you get used to it :slight_smile:
    Have a good night :slight_smile:

14. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    We shouldn't call a "truce" on moral issues. Instead, we should be fighting horrible people like Santorum.

15. RedState

THIS^^^
    This is probably the best thing that has been said in this entire thread.

16. Emberstone

Besides, words like 'morality' and 'tradition' are by their very nature are rendered meaningless by the fact that no one agrees on a definition, since morality and tradition never have been, are not, and never will be concrete.

But Santorums view of 'morality' and 'tradition' is counter to america's founding and ideals.

He can cling to them all he wants, pat himself on the back, and sit on his arm till it falls asleep so he can touch himself and pretend someone else is giving a congradulatory 'king of america' handy job all he wants... but he is still a ahistorical, anti-intelligence hydrophalic arse tart!

17. No One

My opinion of the matter is this: Someone cannot use their religious morals to form law. My morals tell me that it is wrong to harm any living being and that eating meat isnt good, but I wont be going on a crusade to ban the eating of meat. Furthermore, I think a truce is exactly what should be had. Not only does it really abide by the ideals of the constitution (That no one shall impose their beliefs on anyone else) but it also also allows us to focus of the more important issues. I'll admit that social issues like Gay Marriage and Abortion are important, but they arent as important as issues like the national deficit, or the war in Afghanistan. For a "fiscally sound" Republican Party, it would seem to make sense to show your supporters that you are focusing on being fiscally sound, instead of spending all of your time fighting against social issues.

18. RedState

Here, Here!
    Another excellent post...I agree completely.
    I guess that is why I have never gotten into the all the social issue stuff: I don't care about gay marriage, I don't care about gays in the military, I don't care about abortion...I understand that there are a ton of people out there that do care about these issues and God Bless them...that is their passion and they should continue fighting for them.

Like Ascended said, I think we have a LOT more important things we need to tend to first...then we can get to those secondary issues....but I'm a kinda a social libertarian anyways

#18 RedState, May 6, 2011
  19. Mogget

I don't think there are secondary issues. Everything is connected to everything else. Eradicating homelessness has an effect on the deficit, the legalization or criminalization of abortion impacts the efficacy of our foreign policy, our acceptance or rejection of gay marriage is a part of our immigration policy. That's why I'm distrustful of people who claim to only care about economic issues. It ignores the fact that social issues impact our economy and budged in extremely meaningful ways.

20. Danielle

Danielle Guest

He is just upset because of the meaning of Santorum.