1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How-to Gay Sex Taught at Texas A&M? [not my headline]

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, May 10, 2011.

1. Dan82

http://www.ktrh.com/cc-common/news/sections/newsarticle.html?feed=121300&article=8543104

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, something tells me he pulled that statistic out of his ass. Texas A&M is not a conservative Christian school, so it seems pretty likely that students there are like any other college students, i.e., sex is a normal and healthy part of their college years. This guy is probably a conservative prude.

I get really annoyed when people try to make the discussion of sex and sex practices "dirty" and "disgusting." It's simply because they are so taboo that we have so much shame surrounding sex and sexual practices.

That said, I think there can be (and arguably should be) a sense of reverence and respect for sex and what it is and means... but that doesn't mean we can't embrace what it is and learn about it and be open and comfortable talking about it.

3. Kevin42

Kevin42 Guest

I am going to Texas A&M (graduating this Friday, and will be getting out of here...thank goodness) and I would have to say that Texas A&M's reputation as the most conservative university in the country and one of the least gay-friendly is pretty accurate. I haven't experienced any outright actions against gays, but the students here make campus probably more Christian and more conservative than many Christian private schools. Most would probably hypocritically say sex outside of marriage is wrong, and I am nearly certain they would say homosexuality is wrong.

I am glad I went to school here, but I can't wait to get the fuck out of this bastion of Christianity and Republicanism.

4. Kanen

I hate this. I live in a small town near this college, and raised a die hard fan of their's. I still am. For years I thought I would be going to school here.

Now, I know I'm not, but it still hurts to see stuff like this. The video might have been a bit too much. But the outcries of protest were sickening. I can't wait to get away from here.

#4 Kanen, May 10, 2011
    Last edited: May 10, 2011
  5. ilovedogs9

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    This is just... sad. And ridiculous. How-to sex lessons shouldn't be taught on a college campus period, whether for gay or straight people. It's inappropriate and a horrible waste of money. Do they even realize how bad our economy is? On that note, I wonder how the students feel who have tried to raise money just to get into this college, only to find out what it's being wasted on.

6. Kevin42

Kevin42 Guest

Did you even bother to read the article?

And why do you think the GLBT student organization shouldn't put on something that teaches gay kids about sex. In Texas, heterosexuals get sex ed in high-school and college IN CLASS and gay kids get taught nothing. That is what is sad and ridiculous, not the fact that the GLBT student organization wants to give out information.

Sex ed is good and thank goodness someone is there to reach out and teach gay kids about sex because the schools and probably most of their parents haven't.

#6 Kevin42, May 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2011
  7. Dan82

This is strangely similar to another manufactured right wing controversy that occurred in Massachusetts about 10 years ago. I mean strikingly similar in both cases the right wingers showed up a safe sex class, tape recorded the proceedings, and then tried to turn it into a major controversy (Google “fistgate” for more information in the MA “controversy”). It didn’t have an effect on policy in MA but I fear it will in Texas. I wonder if these conservative groups aren’t copying one another.

8. Holliepop

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I agree that it's not fair that students get taught about heterosexual sex and not gay sex.

I know that one of the reasons may be because teachers aim to teach het sex in order for people to understand reproduction and makin' babies, which gay sex can't do. Considering the quote that students don't even believe in "sex before marriage" suggests that they may have only been planning to have sex to reproduce (then realize how awesome it is and do it for pleasure with their spouses as well), so I can see why they would be annoyed at this, as well as for more obvious, homophobic reasons.

However, I'm surprised the people who set this seminar/workshop thing up didn't see this coming. A video called "Butt Play"?, in a conservative college in Texas? I doubt that many gay students would go for fear of being exposed as an LGBT teen (if they were closeted, that is). I would be scared, considering some douchebags actually went to it and filmed it.

9. Bryan90

And uninformed people ending up in hospitals with serious hemorrhoids isn't a waste of money? :icon_wink