1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sprint-Funded Ad Pulled After Complaints From Transgender Community

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, May 11, 2011.

1. Dan82

http://mobilized.allthingsd.com/201...-after-complaints-from-transgender-community/

2. Chandra

I read about this on another site (Autostraddle, maybe?) and I kind of agree with the general sentiment expressed there - this ad isn't really transphobic, because the man in the ad is not a transwoman. He is a man in a dress, which is not at all the same thing. The message, I think, is supposed to be that this merger is something ugly that AT&T is trying to dress up as pretty.

On the other hand, I can see how it might reinforce the biases of those who do wrongly believe that a transwoman is just a man in a dress.

So I dunno. Are people overreacting, or is Sprint being insensitive? Probably a bit of both. The ad might have worked better if they used a fictional ugly character, like a monster or a troll or something.

#2 Chandra, May 12, 2011
    Last edited: May 12, 2011