1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Long Island High School bars lesbian student from bringing female date to prom

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, May 14, 2011.

1. Dan82

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local...ars_lesbian_student_from_bringing_female.html

2. Tiny Catastrophe

That pisses me off because that's where I'm from. Of course my town has a very high gay population so I guess I'm just kinda used to people not having an issue with it. Either way I think that's totally unfair, Catholic school or not

3. Shevanel

It's fucking St. Anthony's. These kids in this school should know to expect this. I almost went there, but I didn't, because the school I went to is better >_> Not that my high school would've allowed this, because we banned prom anyway xD

Whether it's fair or not doesn't matter, what matters is that it's a private institution. They make the rules about everything that goes on.

That's why they banned prom at my school. That's why at most of these schools you can't grow your hair long. That's why you wear a uniform. It's under their policy, the law can't change it.

#3 Shevanel, May 14, 2011
    Last edited: May 14, 2011
  4. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oi vay...I'm all for rights, but I'm almost just bored of the same prom stories over and over. How about some happy ones.

5. Dan82

The happy ones aren’t considered “news”.

6. Raeil

Well, my former high school just allowed and supported two couples with LGBT members to go to prom. One couple was lesbian, and at least one member of the other couple was transgendered. I'm in the Bible Belt, so I'm rather shocked it went over so well, but it did!

7. Skiel

Skiel Guest

Bayshore has a lot of gay people? I never knew that. I always assumed that area has less openly gay people. I always thought the towns near/in cental LI have more republican conservative families living there. the only places on long island where i have ever seen a gay couple was in great neck or manhasset especially at the americana. there are usually quite a few gay guys shopping there:rolle:.

But back to the article, it really is unfair. She should just barge right into prom with her ex. If the administrators refuses her entrance, then she should just SUE for unfair treatment!

8. Shevanel

Do you not understand what a private school is?

9. ilovedogs9

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well, I am certainly sick of this. I understand that a Christian private school would be expected to do that, but who really believes that they're "not meaning malice or disrespect" when they deny their students to take to prom whoever they like? Prom is supposed to be something special to a lot of people, and they're pretty much sending a message that they don't care about their students and that a student of theirs is "wrong" and "against their beliefs". What adult, let alone entire school authority, has the right to tell a teenager or child that?

10. Bibliophile

Ummm not sure how you think they are wrong. The people involved are not kids they are teens and hardly should be shocked by this. They are going to a CHRISTIAN school for crying out loud. Though I despise religions period I cant believe that people are getting mad that a CHRISTIAN school is enforcing common Christion ideology. They have every right to do so as its not like this is a public school that the student has to go to. I may not like a persons opinion or religion but they have a right to it and if others dont like it dont go to that school.