1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Study: Homosexuality, celibacy didn't cause abuse

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, May 18, 2011.

1. Dan82

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D9N9JKJ80&show_article=1

2. Emberstone

thats ludacris. there was never a rise in sexual deviency. there is a disticntion between sexual deviency, and the visibility of sex.

the summer of love was not that people were having more sex, but that people were more open about their love life. The sexual liberation was a rally against the stiffling effects of social pressure that tried to force people into a certain mold.

it is the conservative illusion of a sexless society against the reality of sexuality, I.E., people have sex, and lots of it.

3. grimAuxiliatrix

Yes Emberstone, most of us are adults not 4 year olds. We don't don't need to be told that nobody has sex when really the only ones that don't have it are asexuals (whom of which I am okay with).

4. Zontar

Are there statistically greater amounts of priests convicted or accused of child molestation than any other profession? Let's start there.

5. Emberstone

hard to say due to the fact that the vatican doesnt police themselves that well, and have a two thousand year history of ignoring all the criminal, immoral things they were doing. What little they know about the horrors they have enacted upon innocent people is nothing they are willing to share with the public.

6. anatta

Doesn't mention the possibility that a lot of child molesters used to decide to become priests, so they would have easy, private access to children and a position of authority to hide behind, at a time when child molestation was not known to be common.

The reasons a disproportionate number of them molested boys are probably as follows:

1) The priesthood provides more access to boys than to girls

2) Gay men were and are very common in the priesthood because it means not being expected to marry or date women, and a certain proportion of these will also be child molesters, with double the reason to become a priest.

3) Straight child molesters, or ones that can at least tolerate sex with women, are much more likely to be married and abuse their own children instead of using the priesthood. It's easier to keep your own children quiet about abuse than a number of different ones as they become available.

#6 anatta, Jan 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've not read the actual study, but I'd be immediately suspect if it was funded by the catholic church. Studies funded by somebody with an agenda tend to reinforce what the agenda is that's being paid for :slight_smile:

I honestly don't see how they could get any reliable data, since I'd imagine there'd be a pretty strong incentive for priests to lie about their sexual orientation in the first place. As for the celibacy issue causing the abuse, the only way you could test for that would be a longitudinal study with a random population, half of which is subjected to celibacy. Otherwise, as others have said above, you're likely dealing with an inherent bias in the sample, since the priests all self-selected.

8. RedState

I would have to agree with this. ^^

Studies, much like opinion polling, can be structured to really say or show anything....the tobacco industry issued a study decades ago concluding that cigarettes were not that bad for you if that tells you anything.

9. anatta

Previous research has found that there is very high percentage of gay and bisexual priests, by asking them anonymously and asking about their fantasies instead of their identity or behaviour. The way the question is asked makes a massive difference and the RCC know that. The last thing they need is their flock thinking that as well as a minority being child molesters, as many as half of the people leading their services might only be there to cover up the fact that they're gay. The RCC officially has no problem with celebate gay priests in theory I believe, but they know that it wouldn't look good if everyone knew the numbers.