1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Glitter and the Gay: Newt Gingritch Edition!!!

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Emberstone, May 18, 2011.

1. Emberstone

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3bV01_DY2Y&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]

2. Shevanel

Yeah, because that's the way to fix things. Perp's an idiot.

3. kettlkorn

Old Lady: "Well that was fun!" xDDD

4. Emberstone

I wouldnt say the perps a idiot, simply because non-violent protest has a vital importance to the history of civil rights.

This makes a bold statement.

5. Shevanel

Yeah, a bold statement that gays attack people with glitter.

He's an idiot. There are way better, more professional ways of making a statement.

6. Emberstone

but would people hear about it if it wasnt bold, and make a statement?

He didnt attack gingritch with glitter. your putting a negative connotation to something that had no elements of violence or threat.

the right wing talks of gay people as being violent people, being vulger, being aggressive.

This guy simply used a non violent form of protest to make a statement.

it got noticed because it was more then just airing a grievance.

No news channel would have carried the video if it was not for its quirkyness in making a point about newt's *fake* family values that he uses to deny americans equality.

7. Tornadored

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I thought it was rather amusing to be honest! I love the guy towards the end talking about how "they" never interrupt our events. Thats a load of BS!

8. Shevanel

I don't really give a shit who is on the receiving end of the "attack", you don't do shit like that to anyone. Including your political enemies. If you have to be that childish to get attention, they mustn't be that smart of "activists".

Let me put it this way, I'm going to walk up to you while you are working and pour a shit ton of glitter on top of you. How will you feel? Exactly.

#8 Shevanel, May 18, 2011
    Last edited: May 18, 2011
  9. Emberstone

you are missing the point. Your equating something that is in essense harmless to make a point and get attention for that point to something walking up to smack the crap out of his wife, or punching him in the face, something that would actually do harm.

bigotts are hard to get attention for when they have wrapped themselves up in the many layers of fake supremecy that they work under.

this was far less harmful than someone pieing anita bryant in the face, and your acting like gingritch is some wounded hero because someone dumped a bunch of glitter on him and called for a end to his abuse of lgbt people and their constitutionally dictated equal rights under the law.

Your acting like his is some harmed victim of a vicious attack.

10. Shevanel

This has nothing to do with Newt Gingrich. Or bigotry at all. You're literally not reading anything I write. Good job again. One day, Emberstone, you will realize you are a 'gay fish'.

EDIT: I hope you misconstrue that, because I know you will :slight_smile:

11. Eric

He still wasn't as glittery as Ke$ha. Jus' sayin'.

But in all seriousness, I don't support this kind of protest. I mean, we'd be shouting if a pro-equality candidate had something thrown on him.

#11 Eric, May 18, 2011
  12. No One

I agree with Emberstone and Joey in different way. I agree that this WASNT violent and shouldnt be called an attack. I agree that non-violent protest like this play a huge part in any drive for rights. I ALSO agree that there are people out there that will use this as a bad thing like "Those bad gays" and that we should be careful about that. I dont think we should let that stop us from protesting and making a stand, like this guy did, but be more careful about how we do it.

13. Shevanel

I like this idea, and it's smart and well thought out. But we're not fighting to throw glitter on people are we?

14. ilovedogs9

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't know about this, I think that it does make a statement, but it also kind of makes gays look like fools in their eyes. It was slightly amusing, but I don't think it was the best idea. I suppose I agree with No One.

15. aidan

poor newt gingrich... they got glitter all over his table.

that was what he was aiming for wasn't it?

16. No One

It's just a symbol Joey. That's what I am saying.

P.S. I love how you got the version I posted before I edited it lol.

17. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    LMFAO this is NOT Newt's week.

18. RedState

Only us gays would classify throwing glitter on someone as a "bold" statement.

That doesn't add to a stereotype many of us are trying to fight at all...noooo...of course it doesn't.

The point that Shev is making, which I agree with, is that juvenile things like this really only make the movement the individual is advocating look...well...juvenile. Somewhat takes away the credibility...regardless if the person being attacked is Newt Gingrich or Nancy Pelosi.

Please tell me we are not pinning the hopes of the gay movement on someone tossing glitter everywhere and classifying that as a "bold" statement an advancement of the movement.

#18 RedState, May 18, 2011
  19. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I personally think both sides are missing the point on this issue by overinterpreting it.

The biggest problem I have with stunts like this is that the interpretation people get from it tends to be totally hit or miss. For example, if a heterosexual went and attacked a gay person (as we read often in this forum) then we interpret that as being a bigot who deserves to be punished rather than an attack from the heterosexual community as a whole. However, why is it whenever a gay person does something silly that certain groups within the gay and straight community interpret it as being a statement or movement that represents the gay community as a whole? Lets be honest, this wasn't a wise move, nor does it represent the vast majority of LGBT Americans who are associated with a certain community merely because they happen to share the same sexuality.

The point I am making is that this was a person who did something out of his own free will. He might think he's making a point or whatever, but any interpretation beyond that is entirely unnecessary, in my opinion. I personally don't think Newt has much credibility when it comes to family values politics, but that point pretty much makes itself without having to throw glitter on him. By all means reject or approve of the action, but let us not overinterpret what really happened. There are lots of people out there on both sides who will look at this as being an action by the entire gay community, but it's nothing more than one action by one person. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: It's better for us to remind peeps of that fact rather than hop aboard the wagon and attach overly-dramatic meanings to the event. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Martin.

20. kettlkorn

A wild Newt appears!

Gay guy uses glitter!

It's not very effective...