1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Controversy brews over graduation dress code

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, May 20, 2011.

1. Dan82

http://www.fox10tv.com/dpp/news/local_news/mobile_county/controversy-over-graduation-dress-code

2. Oh geez. Are we really still perpetuating the MEN WEAR THE PANTS thing? Really? We're still all up in this antiquated bullshit? yikes. :eusa_doh:

3. RedState

Well, that's just tough shit. High School is not a democracy..gotta play by the rules. So what..stick on a dress for a day, big deal.

4. Meropspusillus

High schools also shouldn't discriminate based on gender. She wants to wear clothing that boys are allowed to wear, if they don't allow her to wear it, that's unfair. Gender equality is pretty important.

5. RedState

Not saying that it is not..but it is what it is...and in HS, as in life, you gotta suck it up and play by the rules sometimes.

6. Meropspusillus

But sometimes, fighting those rules, especially when they're unjust, is worth it. Sometimes playing by the rules doesn't result in any real change.

7. Kidd

Kidd Guest

Rules are important, as long as the rules aren't created arbitrarily. Are girls prohibited from wearing slacks to any other event or on any other school day? If not, then I don't see why graduation should be any different, and I also don't see how anyone is really going to notice it to begin with since you're forced to wear those hideous robes.

8. RedState

Well no..but in this case it looks as if not playing by the rules will result in not walking across a stage.
    I think it's unjust not to be able to drink while I'm working...but I play by the rules :slight_smile:
    I don't think it's really any big deal actually...I don't think wearing a dress for a few hours will scar this poor girl for life...if it does, she has a lot more problems then not being able to walk across a stage to get a diploma.

9. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This isn't even a gay rights thing, it's a gender equality issue.