1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

african blacks burn gays

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by KatKut, May 21, 2011.

1. KatKut

Watch this interesting and sad video I cryed and I am not even African because I felt sorry for the African LGTB and I've never seen such backwardness and so heatless people willing to harm homosexuals and kill them all
    YouTube - ‪african blacks burn gays part 1‬‏

2. Pepsi

Pepsi Guest

They need internet access and better education and this problem would slowly but surely be fixed. The only reason the ugandan people fall for these scare tactics is because they don't know any better. I also have to wonder if they've never been taught about the different genocides throughout history. In any case this made me so upset for all the glbt in Uganda.

3. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    "African blacks..." Is there something you're trying to say?

4. KatKut

Nope
    that's just the title of the video

5. Emberstone

this is more indicative of the culture of the contianant than about race. During slavery, it wasent just the europeans who were doing it, african tribes were doing it to each other. With the rise of catholicisem, now, it has transitioned more to anti-semitisem and homophobia, but the disregard for others rights is still prevelant in certain parts of africa, expecially in the interior, and some of the nothern countries.

its more cultural heritage than anything else.

6. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it means black people who were born and raised and living in Africa.

7. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    The people in the video are in Malawi, an African nation whose population is almost entirely black, so saying "African black" is redundant. The uploader of the video (edinburgh9000) is a racist bastard using the word "black" to connotate savagery. The fact that in the description he calls Islam "demented" and, one of my favorite insults, "unchristian," is proof enough that he has prejudiced beliefs.

8. Emberstone

Yah. we can explore social injustice without always resorting to labels.

9. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Guess I didn't completely watch the video.

10. Meropspusillus

Yeah, Africans totally have a cultural history of violence and murder that Eurasia is completely devoid of. So many of the problems in Africa arise from us white foreigners just thinking "Oh well, they're just all savages. Can't help it that they're backwards." and then stepping in and trying to "fix" all of their problems.

While this is an incredible social injustice let's not resort to racism or noting how "backwards" we think Africa is.

Also, Africa is a continent, not a country. Saying "Black Africans burn gays" would be like saying "White Europeans burn Jews" during the holocaust. This was a group in Malawi, their extremism does not, I'm sure, represent the entirety of Malawi, much less the entirety of Africa.

11. Emberstone

never said that europe didn't have racisem.

if your going to make an arguement, you lose when you try to put words into other peoples mouths. I even noted that european's enslaved africans, and african tribes enslaved other tribes.

I also noted that this is prevelant in interior and northern countries, I know full well that africa is a continant... so if I didnt, why would I denote different countries within africa where it is well documented that such violent acts are still common place, and apart of the culture of the places where it happens.

Violence in africa by one group against another, or a majority group against a minority is alarmingly common.

Also, if you would have read what I wrote, you would have saw that I even from the beginning made a distinction between race and cultural behaviors: "this is more indicative of the culture of the contianant than about race."

The fact of the matter is that there are many places in africa where such violence is common place. We see it expressed through brutal regeimes, quasi tribal warfare (though that is becoming less and less with the rise of dictatorships), and religious zealots. We see constantly it through genocide.

There are places in africa where the culture permits this to happen, and thats a fact.

so again. please read before you jump down someones throat by making untrue claims about things you claim they said.

#11 Emberstone, May 30, 2011
    Last edited: May 30, 2011
  12. Meropspusillus

First, I didn't claim you said anything other than point out that you made a broad generalization about the violent history of Africa. The rest were general points about the thread, I'm sorry that wasn't clear to you.

To follow up on that, to assert that Africa has a violent history without also understanding that white foreigners and settlers have been an integral part of that violent history is quite history. I'm sure more than half of the brutal dictators Africa has seen have been placed in power by white people. (Hell, we've assassinated some leaders who might have actually been good for the countries they led just because we thought they'd be bad for us.) Yes, there was violence and xenophobia in Africa before white people ever came on the continent, but that violence and xenophobia can be found in every continent, with people of every color.

You can't talk about Africa without talking about race. Every native African is black. Race is an integral part of Africa's history of being oppressed, you can't ignore it. Anytime you talk about Africa, you HAVE to think and talk about race. Secondly, the problems aren't African "culture" allowing all this violence. The problem is that we, as the collective west, have been exploiting Africa for generations. Africa is wrecked by poverty and disease. Malaria kills 785,000 people a year, and 90% of those deaths are in sub-Saharan Africa.

My experience of Africa is limited to Eastern Africa (particular Kenya and Tanzania, which are the wealthiest countries in the region (and the 3rd and 4th wealthiest in sub-Saharan Africa in general). People there are some of the kindest people I've ever met. There is a past of tribal warfare yes, and tribal tensions still are strong in Kenya (though Tanzania is pretty devoid of most of this). Still, violence and oppression are hardly "part of their culture". It wasn't Africans who started two World Wars in the past century or engaged in massive military campaigns for the sake of oil. Many Africans are undereducated and thus ignorant about many issues. Basically, saying violence is part of African culture is incredibly ignorant.

I'm sorry, but your posts are sometimes hard to read. If my post didn't directly address what you said then please don't take it personally. Whether or not you are ignorant about Africa and its issues, a lot of America (including myself) is. Whether or not you think violence and savagery are part of African culture, that line of thought is a pretty big problem Westerners tend to have, so I addressed it in my post. I also just like ranting.

13. KatKut

I don't know If saying "black african" is racist
    I think Africa isn't like Europe,Africa has a lot of different races
    there are blacks(Sub-saharan Africa)arabs/berbers(North Africa) and whites (South Africa)
    and I don't think African is synonym of "black"

14. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    ^ I didn't say that it was. I realize that Africa is a multiracial continent, but the vast majority of the Malawian population in specific is. In the case of Malawi, "black African" is redundant.

I am not saying that the term "black African" is intrinsically racist. However, in the context that it is used by the person who uploaded the video, it is.

15. JudasKissedHIM

Um he might not be racist. I live in Africa and we call black people 'blacks' and white people 'whites'. I think he was simply trying to refer to black people from Africa. Not redundant at all. The words African and black are not synonyms, even though the Western world might believe so. :help:

---------- Post added 2nd Jun 2011 at 09:44 AM ----------

Sorry just read what KatKut said, basically the same as I said just now. (Didnt copy you mr. #justsaying)

---------- Post added 2nd Jun 2011 at 09:59 AM ----------

I agree with most of the points you made, including the fact that Western society exploits the African continent to the bone. BUT by saying EVERY NATIVE African is black, implies that white Africans are not, well... native? Our people have settled down in South Africa in 1652, so I really find it offensive that you suggest that modern-day white Africans are not native to this continent. Sure the two races have had a troublesome relationship, but we've also fought together against British oppression.

If white people aren't 'native Africans', then is it safe to say that white and black Americans aren't native to North America? :eusa_naug

16. Meropspusillus

No you're not native. No I'm not native. My statement wasn't true in the sense that I wasn't thinking about northern Africa, however. I have a tendency to only think about sub-Saharan Africa while talking about the whole continent.

I should clarify, just because you're not a "native African" doesn't mean you don't belong where you are, or that you need to leave. I agree, gray areas appear eventually. I consider the Swahili people native Africans, but they've been in Africa since the 13th century and have mixed their bloodlines and culture with people native to the region.

But think about it: white Americans have systematically oppressed native American peoples, America's wealth is completely biased towards white Americans, leaving many native American communities in poverty. There are many fundamental differences between America and South Africa, but you can't argue that white settlers have assimilated into any culture they've invaded.

Africa may be your home, just as I consider America mine, I'll never argue against that, but neither of us are native. Time can't change that. And essentially that what I was trying to say with the other two nonsense paragraphs above this one.

17. KatKut

You shouldn't blame all whites not even the majority you should only blame some white individuals because with all those generalizations you're the "racist"

and there aren't natives we all came from Africa some thousands of years ago and Native Americans went to the Americans from Asia...

Bush and Obama are as Natives as Sitting Bull to me!

#17 KatKut, Jun 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  18. Shevanel

This is all getting extremely off-topic, rude, and completely nonsensical. I think Y'all should stop here before any more offensive things can be posted.

19. Meropspusillus

Yeah, I hope I didn't offend anyone, as that was never my intention. I regularly forget that internet forums aren't a good place to have ethical debates.

20. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people

South Africa is a different case from Malawi. South Africa has a significant white population, Malawi does not, as I explained in the post directly above yours. And furthermore, the uploader of the video is a racist pig no matter what he chose to title the video, because of his comments on Islam.