1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Tennessee pass "Don't say gay" bill

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by browneyedboy, May 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. browneyedboy

So not sure if anythings been posted on it recently, but just heard about this and it really irritates me. I mean i dont even live in the US let alone tennesse but to see that such brutal homophobia exists and is actually being allowed in the US is absolutely disgusting. By banning the word GAY they are not only oppressing the community but are creating more space for ignorance and therefore more hate. What the f#*k is wrong with the world!

2. steel03

Not only that, it also bars teachers from explaining what at least one or two kids in every class is going to go through, causing a lot of confusion and denial. If kids are taught early and at school that many people do grow up and find out they are homosexual and that that's okay, it will save so much trouble later on. I can't even imagine the difference it would have made for me.

3. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  4. GuardianKitten

Way to perpetuate the stereotype of the south being homophobic and backwards.

5. sillytea247

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Why am I not surprised?

#5 sillytea247, May 22, 2011
    Last edited: May 22, 2011
  6. Elven

Load of crap.

7. Holliepop

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    [​IMG]

I'm not even in the U.S, but people get told about how America is how a country is meant to be, and that they are the forerunners...and then something as backward as this happens. I know that this is only one state, but still. HAD ENOUGH NOW.

8. ilovedogs9

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    This is disgusting. I can't believe people are doing this - what is wrong with them? If some poor kid finds out that they're gay, they're going to be taught to reject themselves and their fellow students are going to reject and hate them too.

9. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dumbest people in the world. They're almost worse than Mississippi now. (Please note I do love Mississippi gays)

10. Beachboi92

this is disgusting, kids are going to be taught that what they are is not even speakable….

11. Emberstone

lets go down to the tenn state capital building, and run around in circles screaming "gay! gay! gay! gay!"

12. tylernc

tylernc Guest

It amazes me to no end how stupid and narrowminded people can be. -.- They shouldn't be deciding what people can and can't say. Chances are, people are going to say gay anyways. Gay gay gay gay gay. Gay.

13. NickT

This is so not Takei. >: (

14. Elven

I've gotta' say though I have nothing against the US and our system can be pretty crappy, I've never seen theirs as superior to be honest.

15. aceofnoise23

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't believe this happened. This is so idiotic. Who would ever think that this is a good idea?

16. Holliepop

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I don't mean us specifically, I'm talkin' about the American Dream. *shrug*

17. RedState

While having this in actual statue is going a little far, un-necessary and stupid, I can see some of the reasoning behind it...I agree with one of the things the Bill's sponsor said, it should be up to the individual and the individual family to decide when and how to address this very personal and private issue..it should not come from Washington or, in this case, Nashville...or a local school or school board for that matter. But that's only on a personal basis...I do think these issues, from a society/rights standpoint--not from a sexual standpoint--should be allowed to be discussed (if it is appropriate for the subject matter at hand) in a more mature classroom setting (elementary school does not fit in this category). For example, if you are in a Civics Class and civil unions/gay marriage is all over the news..I think you should be allowed to discuss that issue and how the current laws and Constitution apply to it.

I don't think sexual subject matter should even be broached in elementary school, they are simply too young to understand it.

18. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

^Yeah, because ignoring things for "the sake of the children" has always worked out in the past. Not to mention how well the "abstinence only" program has been working so far...

Also, keep in mind that the bill says that kids are smart enough to comprehend heterosexuality but not homosexuality. It isn't talking about keeping sexual topics outside of the classroom. Just homosexual ones.

19. RedState

It's not "for the sake of the children" Gus, it's called..once again..common sense...this issue, nor any sexual issue, should be discussed in elementary school...I mean, seriously, what the fuck are parents for? Just to be potted plants?

#19 RedState, May 23, 2011
    Last edited: May 23, 2011
  20. NickT

You forget that most parents don't like to talk about sex. They think it's too awkward. Hell, I had sex ed. in fourth grade! Seriously if you teach it in a mature manner it's not that big of a deal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.