1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toronto parents raise "genderless" baby

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by aidan, May 24, 2011.

1. aidan

Toronto parents raise ‘genderless’ baby - PinkNews.co.uk

2. Connor22

well that's... different

3. Fiender

I'm sorry but I just don't agree with this. You can't "decide" your gender. You are what you are, just ask any transgender person.

I think they are taking this subject lightly. This child has the brain chemistry of one gender; boy or girl, and it sounds like they think the behaviors and mannerisms of a gender are "learned", and for the most part, that just isn't true.

4. Tiny Catastrophe

I feel like this is a disaster in the making

5. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unschoolers.
    I don't even know what to say to that.

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel like this is way over the edge. Children expect a certain level of boundaries and a lot of guidance from their parents. They also expect some basic socialization to be able to adjust to society's expectations.

Kids raised in this sort of environment will likely always be social outcasts and have real difficulty in most social situations... not to mention the difficulties and confusion about gender identity.

While I applaud the openness, I don't think their approach is remotely reasonable, sensible, or healthy and while the intention is probably well-meaning, the results will likely not be good.

As for the education... there's actually more basis to support that idea. Summerhill was a school in England that ran in a very similar fashion; children learned because they wanted to, were not forced to go to classes, and were given complete freedom. Most ended up extremely well educated, well adjusted, and healthy.

7. kettlkorn

Gotta love those names. Jazz, Storm, and Kio. Did they pull their names from X-Men?

8. Shevanel

I sense some turbulence in the near future of this kid's life. Hopefully, his parents' judgement wasn't too.... clouded.

9. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Does anyone watch Rick and Steve? I think it's the two lesbians, Ebony and Ivory, who have a baby they wont tell anyone the gender of 'cos they want it to make up its own mind later on. Reinforcing their idea using some book by arse, they stole the idea of a part of a cartoon that was taking the piss outta overly militant gays.

10. kettlkorn

I think the guy who named jazz really sax at names. I hope that none of the lawmakers see this story and decide to trumpet.

11. Shevanel

Yeah, he must really... blow...

12. kettlkorn

At least they can save the money and notoriety for a... rainy day...

#12 kettlkorn, May 24, 2011
    Last edited: May 24, 2011
  13. Shevanel

Enough with these puns, they are quite silly and I don't want to cause any kind of... tempest...

Seriously though, to be so influenced by a book... This reminds me of that kid who was brought up as the wrong gender because of the doctor's experiment that ended up killing himself after he became an adult. I just hope by some miracle this works out for the kids.

14. olides84

^ Jeez, get a room guys xD

Well, I do grant the parents some credit for being pissed off that their older son was getting ridiculed for being/dressing/acting how he wanted to. It's quite interesting... I recommend reading the whole article here to really understand what's going on:

Parents keep child's gender secret - Parentcentral.ca

15. Emberstone

honestly, there is a difference to listening to a child's feelings, and what these parents are doing. how can a child who has no concept of a gender because they are really young understand what gender they are. If one turns out to be transgendered, you can deal with it then.

Parents can break gender roles without refusing to note a child's gender. A gender role and a gender are not connected in any way but social construct... physical gender is different from emotional gender, but you shouldnt deny a child their physical gender, even if you do let them make choices for themselves. Again, if they are transgendered, then deal with it then...

16. ilovedogs9

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    This. Even if there are good intentions behind this, I think it's going a little too far. What are they going to do when the child's realized they've been raised their entire lives without a specific gender? It's going to have to be hard to deal with on their own, let alone society which will turn them into the social outcast they are likely to become.

17. Emberstone

I decided to sum it up to a more concise point. "parents can define what gender roles they teach their children... but they cannot define their child's gender."

18. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't see this as too horrible an idea. The unschooling part of the equation also doesn't bother me. What puts me over the edge is their choice in names for their children. Revolting.

19. olides84

I don't see them as defining the child's physical gender. They are simply not telling anyone else what the child's physical gender is. They want to keep "typical" gender roles away from their kids, but they haven't been able to do it fully because their older sons are being ridiculed by the society around them who are expecting them to act/dress/look like boys. So their "solution" for the baby is just not to tell anyone what gender the kid is, and so the kid isn't unduly influenced and can make up its mind what they like and don't like.

20. zerogravity

It sounds like one or both of their older kids are trans and maybe it's just to normalize the trans thing. My cousin's kid is trans; was born a girl but has lived as boy since around age 6 (now 8 yrs old). It's even to the point now where the kid is wanting to be referred to as 'he'. My point is, it seems like the article may be distorting things a bit here.