1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Straight or Gay? Vowels in Speech May Give it Away

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, May 24, 2011.

1. Dan82

http://health.usnews.com/health-new...ight-or-gay-vowels-in-speech-may-give-it-away

2. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    I wish that they'd give us a sample with IPA.

3. Lolguy

It's funny, because half the time that doesn't actually work.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    According to the study, there was 75% accuracy in determining the sexual orientation of the speaker correctly.

It would be interesting to try to control for closeted people. It's very possible that the accuracy rate is even higher if you could include people who are gay but won't admit it yet.

5. steel03

I don't know... I mean, there's definitely a "gay accent" that a lot of people have, but there are absolutely also gay people who "sound straight." I wonder what difference it would make to use a larger selection of gay and straight men than just seven each.
    Incidentally, anyone else notice that they only ever refer to the sexual orientations as "gay" and "heterosexual" in this article? Never "homosexual," and only "straight" in the title. Huh...

6. Ridiculous

I don't think any 'gay-giveaway' studies can ever be accurate because of the social stigma that is attached to being gay. Straight people in the tests will likely exaggerate their straightness while gay people are likely to supress it (if they are closeted) or possibly exaggerate their 'gayness' if they aren't.

Maybe if they recorded their voices before asking their orientation.. but even then I don't think it would stop this happening.