1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are Children Raised by Lesbians More Likely To Engage in Same-Sex Sexual Activity?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, May 24, 2011.

1. Dan82

http://volokh.com/2011/05/12/are-ch...likely-to-engage-in-same-sex-sexual-activity/

2. Re: Are Children Raised by Lesbians More Likely To Engage in Same-Sex Sexual Activity

I guess this is interesting. I mean, like it says, there seems to be a correlation here but the cause of this apparently statistically significant result is not clear and we shouldn't kid ourselves into thinking that it is.

Self reporting can be sketchy, especially with things people might not want to share with anyone (unless of course they have gay parents and so they're taught it's okay to be gay...) I wonder if it's any more than just a weird reporting thing between kids who are taught being gay is fine and kids who are never told about it or are told it's wrong.

3. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: Are Children Raised by Lesbians More Likely To Engage in Same-Sex Sexual Activity

ow *bang* ow *bang* ow *bang* ow *bang* ow *bang* ow *bang*

That's how I feel...

4. dragontattoo

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: Are Children Raised by Lesbians More Likely To Engage in Same-Sex Sexual Activity

Perhaps it is because homosexuality appears to run in families....an unproven genetic link? I don't know about this but this would give fuel to the homophobes that we are recruiting...the flip side is that most of us gay folks were raised by straight parents.

5. GuardianKitten

No, children rased by gay/lez parents are more likely to be able to accept their own sexualities...:rolle: People are fucktards

6. Hot Pink

This study--if it really exists--would really be damaging to same-sex adoptions, regardless. Most people don't see sexuality as the spectrum it is and that spectrum is under the law of averages--just like everything else in biology. A religious nut would read this and reach one conclusion: lesbians turn kids gay! That's not really what this study is saying, but that's what they would think.

The majority of people view sexuality as this switch in people's heads. It's either on gay or straight. The majority doesn't even accept bisexuality; however, there's a significant amount of people who think you can flip the switch to the opposite sexuality. In reality, the only people who can be attracted to both genders equally are people who are completely bisexual--irony.

If kids are raised in an environment where they don't feel persecuted for having feelings toward the same sex, they're not going to feel there's anything wrong with those feelings. Statistically, the majority should land somewhere in the middle of sexuality spectrum--even if there's an offset toward heterosexuality. Thus, in such an environment, children would naturally feel like they can explore their sexuality without getting any judgment from their parents. Why would a homosexual couple judge their daughter for looking at pictures of naked women? Or kissing another girl? They wouldn't and the children would know that.

The norms of what society expects are more powerful in traditional, heterosexual families--unless they make it clear to their children that such lifestyles are also normal; however, many don't do this--even the open-minded parents. My parents don't mind gay people, even if one of their children were gay. Did we hear about this when we were teenagers, though? Not at all. Children are naturally afraid of losing their parents love, so if you don't tell them then they're going to try to hide it.

7. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Jim likes this.

8. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

you beat me to it.