1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay Teens Crowned Prom King And Queen

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, May 27, 2011.

1. Dan82

2. Holmes

I love how close to current events Glee is.

3. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't wanna win prom queen.... I'd wanna be king and king.....

4. Enaithor

Yeah, that's what I was gonna say lol

5. Rikudo

This.....not a fan of queens.

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly, I don't think calling him "prom queen" is a bad thing, but then... I'm pretty comfortable with, and actually love embracing the ridiculous stereotypes people have of gay people. If you think about how gay people (at least of my era) often refer to each other as queens, then in a way "prom queen" is incredibly appropriate, and maybe they should *both* have been prom queens. I certainly wouldn't have objected to that title :slight_smile:

The news story is interesting... the students that voted for them were obviously cool with it, but it's interesting that the superintendent's office wouldn't comment, which seemed sort of cowardly, and I also find it interesting that no one who objected would do so on camera. It seems the tide is shifting and people realize that objecting is tantamount to bigotry, and perhaps fewer and fewer people are willing to publicly state a bigoted opinion about gays and lesbians.

7. alexi12

alexi12 Guest

In our school year book, we have senior superlatives. Seniors vote for other seniors to be voted for things like "best laugh" and "most conservative" and "Biggest jock". A boy and a girl win one of everything. The award for "class couple" went to a gay guy and a lesbian. It was fantastic :slight_smile:

8. Enaithor

I think part of the awkwardness of a guy being entitled Prom Queen is that a lot of people are (innocently) ignorant to how homosexual relationships usually work, and try to fit them into their heteronormative box i.e. "Are you the man or the woman in the relationship?" erm, *facepalm* we're both the man (or woman)