1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CDC study: Gay, bisexual teens do riskier things

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Dan82

http://www.sacbee.com/2011/06/06/3680343/cdc-study-gay-bisexual-teens-do.html

2. RaRa

Why yes...I do like to live a little dangerously. ;D

3. Beachboi92

we face more stress and deal with more issues than straight people therefore more of us turn to things like drugs, alcohol, and risky behavior to deal with it. I hate studies like this because they always are pushed to make us look bad like being gay means you will be a drug addict or something...

4. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmmm I wonder why? Well let me think:

Bigots telling us we're disgusting
    Religion telling us we're going to hell
    The risk of parents potentially disowning us
    Us having a higher chance of being bullied
    Of being attacked
    Of being killed

I think it also contributes to the reason why gay men sometimes go with unprotected sex (don't get me wrong, I still stick by what I've said in that I hate when they call HIV the gay disease or say we have a higher incidence rate) but with fewer safe sex programs for homosexuals, and less ability to talk to parents about safe sex, many gay teens when they first have the chance for sex, will less often choose to use a condom.

So yes we participate in a lot of high risk activity, because a lot of the world treats us as second-class citizens, frankly even third-class. (I say third because you have to admit, other races, and women are still treated not equal, and since the heterosexual white man treats us of the LGBT community worse than other races or women, I would say third class)

5. Brad

I don't see that study as being anything like that. While the study shows that GLBT youth are more likely to struggle with those things mentioned it leads the way to a further study into the causes and ways to work on it. Although lets face it for most people it is a no brainer as to the cause.

If we want things to improve we need studies like this to open peoples eyes so that maybe in the future more time and attention will be put into supporting GLBT youth so they are no longer at anymore risk with these things that anyone else.

6. Jay

Jay

How any of this has any relation to us acting "riskier"? If any it contributes for people to NOT act risky.

7. flymetothemoon

While I understand what you are saying about those things making some GLBT people act in a less risky manner, I think that those things contribute to a higher stress level, and it may lead others to risky behavior to try to help them deal with the stress. I also think that always being told you don't fit in or feeling like you don't fit in might lead to being more easily pressured into things by peers if they're saying things like well everyone does it, all the cool kids do it, you'll be cool if you do it.

8. whiterosebeka

*falls out of chair laughing* HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA all the kids that i know when i was in high school, were preggy, drinkers, smokers, idiots partiers, hell you look in my yearbook, and you'll see people wearing Asshole hats in photos (Asshole a drinking game, and the asshole of the game 'that looses the hand' has to wear a dunce like cap with some stupid saying on it). i think its pretty damn even with straight people and LGBT people on risky behavior.

but i do see what Flythemoon is talking about, with it causing more stress, and leading them to do riskier things to overcome the stress. and i can't really say much, at one point i was on drugs.

9. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    cross out gay and bisexual and you'll have it right.

10. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People's anecdotal experiences don't invalidate the data from the study.

Yes, there are people in every high school who are drunk, high, and engaging in various risky behaviors all the time. But there are actually a LOT of studies validating what this study says, and Revan has it right: smoking, drug use, unsafe sex, and other risky behaviors among teens are all correlated with low self esteem and guess what? Gay teens are far, far more likely to have low self esteem than their heterosexual counterparts, for all the reasons Revan said.

Brene Brown, who is my new favorite researcher, talks about risky behavior and self esteem in her research, which looks specifically at shame and its effect on our behavior and self esteem. For anyone who has a few minutes, her videos on Youtube are well worth watching.

11. Elven

Bah! Stuff their percentages. They haven't met me, I'm nerdy and boring as heck.
    I find that the LGBTs often seem to be the people who go differently and decide not to drink, smoke, etc, maybe because they may already clash with many social norms they don't give in to peer pressure as much which often seems to start those kinda' habbits.

#11 Elven, Jun 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  12. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

CDC study: Gay, bisexual teens do riskier risky things

Fixed.

13. highlights

I think, that these things can easily lead to depression and people take drugs and drink to cope with depression. (Not the best way to deal with depression but many people do it.)

14. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Glad someone gets exactly what I was trying to get across.

15. Enaithor

I agree with you too Revan :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    Most of the LGBT people I know seem less risky, but I think that's just a coincidental anomaly, it would make more sense for LGBT people to be riskier

16. Dolphinkid

then why do i hate just the idea of smoking?

if everyone were like me, the world would be a better place XD

17. secretguyX

Agreed. Some teens do risky shit all the time, it doesn't depend on their sexuality. Personally, I may do certain risky stuff, but not including drugs or stuff like that.

18. SunSparks

xD Sacramento Bee pulled the article...

Anyways, its obvious this is not a valid scientific poll. Nothing else to say

19. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't blame them.

20. NicoleV96

NicoleV96 Guest

I don't think sexual orientation really determines who's going to act more risky. I mean, that depends on the person and how much pressure they can take. Everyone has that certain breaking point, some people are pushed passed it regardless of sexual orientation. I think that a good majority of teens in general are the ones that have the risky behaviors, and their sexual orientation doesn't play a part in it. I mean, maybe people bully someone due to their sexual orientation and that brings them to risky behavior, but that wasn't brought upon themselves, they didn't choose to do risky things, they did it because they were pushed towards it. Most teens I know, and I know a lot because I am one, already drink, already smoke, some have been pregnant, tried committing suicide, and all those people I know that do those things are straight. I think, like I said, depends on the person and the amount of pressure they can take.