1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School accused of homophobia after Glee show does away with gay character Kurt Hummel

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Dan82

http://www.news.com.au/national/tow...cter-kurt-hummel/story-e6frfkvr-1226072700759

2. Emberstone

Re: School accused of homophobia after Glee show does away with gay character Kurt Hu

do they realize they can get in a buttload of legal and financial trouble for making a glee stage show without the copyright and trademark owner's permission?

3. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: School accused of homophobia after Glee show does away with gay character Kurt Hu

You know what you do when you need to cast a soprano but can't find one?
    Bump the music down an octave.
    Not eliminate a critical role.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Seriously. If they're using the counter tenor argument (that's actually what a male soprano is called) that's simply a shield for bigotry. And if they're worried the actor playing that character will be bullied... well, let the kid trying out for the role (and his parents) make the decision if he's willing to take it on, AND... if they're worried about bullying, it means whatever the school is doing to prevent bullying is ineffective.

Asshats.

BTW: I must say that when I first read the thread title, I about had a heart attack that Glee might be writing out Kurt's character.

5. AtmaWeapon

Doing a Glee musical without Kurt is like doing Pirates of the Caribbean without Captain Jack Sparrow. Does NOT work.

6. Tristar

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

Me too, lol! When I first started watching Glee I wasn't sure about this character, but he has grown on me ever since. Without him it would definitely be a different show.

(!)

7. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I dont actually watch Glee but I had the impression that everyone was gay on Glee :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Maybe they're all in the closet? :grin:

8. Hot Pink

It's a school musical.

9. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

So? In order to do a musical, you require the rights to said play. When I was in Grade 7 my director had to order the rights for the Wizard of Oz. When I was in Once Upon a Mattress this year we had to order the rights to the play! You might get by doing a regular play in school like say a Shakespeare one, but if you do a musical, and especially want to do advertising for it. You need the rights to do it. Besides, where the hell do you think you find the conductor's score? And I'm talking a real score, not some Grade 2 piano book you can find at a music store.

As for the actual topic, they're idiots. I'm actually shocked and appalled they're excluding a character based on sexual orientation. IF you think the person would get bullied, then here's an idea, work on your effing anti-bullying prevention.

10. Tim

Tim

Copyright laws still apply to school musicals in the US.

Shakespeare plays are in the public domain for example.

We don't know why he was left out, I think people are jumping to conclusions.

11. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Even if not Tim, it's still kinda obvious. >_>

12. suninthesky

Ditto!

13. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

same

14. Tim

Tim

In what way? We don't know if they cast Santana, who is a lesbian.

Again, jumping to conclusions.

15. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Oh please, Santana's a different story, I mean she didn't even have real focus until Season 2, not that I don't love her. So unless they're doing Season 2 for the musical which who knows what they are doing, they won't be focusing on that. Besides her being a lesbian didn't even really get focused on until towards the end of Season 2, the rest was just little crumbs I'll call them, until you got the rest of the cake. Kurt's whole story has been about his coming out, getting bullied, finding love, etc. So yes, I'd say it's homophobia. And them using the soprano tenor excuse is ridiculous, especially the part about saying they don't want the child bullied, clearly saying that right there is basically saying "we don't want this role as the actor may be bullied for being gay".

16. Tim

Tim

If you read, they say that's what some people think.

That's not the teachers or the faculty. It's students.

17. AtmaWeapon

Fair use might have a play in making it okay, though. Don't know for sure, but there's a good possibility.

18. Porphyrogenitus

ok, look. It's a musical. Which means it runs for a couple of hours. On stage. Which means that the number of storylines and characterisations you can deal with in an intelligent, appealing manner is EXTREMELY limited. Kurt probably just wasn't important enough to the script they've written.

19. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people

Not quite. The term "countertenor" practically always refers to a male alto, not a male soprano. The most specific term for a male soprano is a "sopranist."

20. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Hmmm. I was going by what Chris identified himself as in an interview. He used the term "counter tenor." Those familar with PDQ Bach know that he wrote pieces for "Bargain counter tenor" :slight_smile: