1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interesting Study on Homophobic Men

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by JamesD, Jun 11, 2011.

1. JamesD

2. That was a very interesting article, indeed. It definitely explains a lot :grin:

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What's particularly interesting is that the source study itself was published in 1996. So I wonder why the author of the Psychology Today article just mentioned it this week?

Attitudes and stigma about homosexuality were considerably different 15 years ago so it would be interesting to know if any followup research has been done. I'm not even slightly surprised by the findings but it's great to know there's an actual citation that supports what everyone has theorized for so long :slight_smile:

Edit: Found a link to the original study, published in Abnormal Psychology, if anyone's interested

4. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is odd indeed why now when it was 15 years ago...go figure.

5. Elven

They often seem to say that people who are closeted homosexuals/bisexuals can sometimes make the worst homophobes, uncomfortable with gays because they're secretly uncomfortable with themselves and we remind them of that fact.

6. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd theorize that it also goes back to being taught that gay=worthless and gay=feminine and not a real man, maybe even wanting to be a woman. It's all the crap we grew up with by hearing gay used as an insult, wanting to be "real men" to fit in and be respected by our male role models. Also, the only gay men we saw on TV and movies were the fem/flamboyant guys. It's no wonder the guys in that study (and many others) don't want to be openly gay and overcompensate by lashing out against those that they are so afraid of being seen as. :icon_sad:

Hopefully over time being gay will no longer be seen as negative and we will see more average/masculine gay guys in media and real life. Professional sports teams speaking up against discrimination is a great trend. :thumbsup:

7. Pandur

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This makes perfect sense. I was a major homophobe too until I was able to accept the fact that I was gay.

8. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well there you go :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: