1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Christian gays ask Vatican to condemn homophobia

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Dan82

http://www.google.com/hostednews/af...ocId=CNG.ec83f852b2779083383ca297b1deae77.331

2. AtmaWeapon

I'd be surprised if any serious attention was paid to this address, but I commend the efforts. Religious homophobia is one of the greatest obstacles we face making me grateful for the gay Christian movement that is picking up speed.

3. JudasKissedHIM

Ugh that old bag won't do such a thing- the only gays he will protect are the priests raping little boys.

4. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just as long as they dont wear condoms.

The Vatican does have standards!

:rolle::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. Emberstone

that is like asking neo nazi's to condem the holocaust.

6. Shevanel

This is an idiotic statement.

7. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Neither of the previous two posts were productive, but i wouldn't say either of them were 'idiotic' either

8. Emberstone

given the history of both groups in murdering people for being gay, or apart of other minorities or groups they don't like, wether you like it or not, the comparrision is documented as fact.

The catholic church is the only organized institution that outranks the nazi's for genocide. The nazi's just consolidated their numbers in the course of a decade or so.

9. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Stop hating on the Nazis :frowning2:

10. Emberstone

I can't help it... Goose stepping looks really lame.

11. Shevanel

You could say that the sky is green and that is a fact. Doesn't make it one.

12. Emberstone

Except the fact that the Catholic Church has murdered millions is documented. The inquisitions account for millions murdered, and the crusades also add another estimated 300k. The catholic led witch hunts also are considered between many hundreds of thousands, and millions, depending on the source. There was also the uprising during the early period of the church when the christians, after being persecuted by the romans, rose up and became the persecutors, slaughtering pegans like crazy, which continued for nearly two millinia. These acts are docuemented, even if the church has at times in its history tried to supress them.

To ignore them, or pretend they didnt happen is lunacy.

Either the church has to be held accountable for their sins, or they need to stop forcing the rest of us to be punished by their intolerences for the world, and the people in it.

13. Eric

The catholic church usually takes a stance of non-violence, whether they support the group being attacked or not. It would make sense for them to condemn violent acts committed against GLBT people simply for consistency. Then again, it wouldn't surprise me if the church doesn't officially condemn it. They didn't publicly condemn the holocaust in the 1940's, so how would this be more important? Regardless, inaction doesn't equal endorsement of violence against gay people.

And the church does have a history of violence against people who, shall we say, don't agree with them, but alas, that history predates the 19th century.

14. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Guys,

Religious debates never go anywhere except to make people angry. The original focus of this thread was about the Vatican being asked to condemn homophobia. Please return the discussion to that topic, otherwise we'll just have to close the thread.

Thanks!

Edit: I just removed another post that essentially continued the debate. I was serious. We'd rather not close the thread, but if there are any more such posts, we'll have no choice.