1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clergy Proclamation: Being Gay Not A Sin

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Dan82

http://www.ketv.com/news/28214658/detail.html

2. Wow. When I first read the title I was expecting something else...like "BEING gay is not wrong, but gay sex, no no, can't do that..."

This is a nice bit of news here. It's encouraging to hear voices from the faith-based communities that are positive about equality and love.

3. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This definitely makes me happy :slight_smile: Good for them.

4. Emberstone

It is interesting that all the passages in the bible that claim homosexuality is a sin dont come from any narrative of god. it starts with the priestly code the jewish priest created to govern themselves. then some jewish people adopted the code for their own lives to live a more priestly, godly life. Then Paul quoted it, what, 80 years after the cruicifixtion?

but whenever god in some form (god or christ) speaks in the bible, not a single mention of homosexuality, but a buttload of mentions of love and compassion for all people regardless.

It comes down to if man wrote the bible to make sense of the divine, or god wrote the bible, and contradicts himself constantly.

5. steel03

Yes! Finally! I've been saying this for years! Most Lutheran/Presbyterian/Methodist/not crazy Protestant churches are deeply accepting of homosexuals! For heaven's sake, we perform gay marriages and ordain gay pastors!

6. Tracy Lord

I'm not understanding why this is news. These denominations are already pretty gay-friendly and have been for some time. At any rate, the conservatives who are anti-gay don't think these people are Christian anyway.

7. Emberstone

and ironicly, the bible says those conservatives aren't christian.

8. Fintan

We Anglicans/Episcopalians fit into that category as well! People don't realise that there are SOO many accepting mainstream Christians because we aren't outrageous enough to make the news...

9. Zontar

I'm curious to see how they rationalized this if they still believe in scriptural rigor. Maybe they think gay sex is wrong like some others do? Maybe they're taking a "love the sinner" approach?

10. Kardan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm floored. I've never heard people around here so vocal about this subject! It's a miracle. A real miracle.

11. Emberstone

Scriptural rigor is a urban legend. What the anti-gay forces do is not read scripture, they cherry pick it. Ironicly, their behavior tends to put them straight in the express line to hell if we are to take scripture literally... which traditional christanity doesn't, useing the original way of viewing the bible as a combination of metaphor and history to express concepts of how we are suposed to live and treat each other.

The Anti-Gay side tends to spend all of their energy basically masterbating their ego while tearing down any group they don't like. Jesus spent more time calling that behavior a sin than he did calling homosexuality a sin... since jesus never did call homosexuality a sin.

12. steel03

No, we pretty much take the whole package... We're trying to let the whole "hating gays" thing go the way of "shunning vegetarians" and "avoiding shellfish."

13. Jay

Jay

There you go. Nowhere in the Bible God condemns a monogamous, respectful, faithful relationship between a man and a man or a woman and a woman.

14. Zontar

It's pretty clearly written in there.

I'm not even a Christian, but I'm just saying.

15. Mr.Pushover

They can't be taking a "love the sinner" approach if there is no sin.

16. steel03

Yes, along with a load of other stuff that zero Christians pay attention to and have completely accepted is unimportant. You're acting on some false assumptions about Christianity... Ask any reputable theologian.

17. Jay

Jay

All of the passages on the Bible refer to stuff like ritual sex (some cults and religions believe you can archive purity by having sex with "sacred" people at an altar or church), and prostitution.

Sodom and Gomorrah was not punished for their homosexual acts. They were punished because they lacked hospitality. It was something people had to abide back then: if a foreigner approached your city you were obliged to share food and shelter with them but the people in Sodom and Gomorrah were against that, since they felt that some foreigners would want to steal their riches since they were loaded. So, to try to scare them away, they raped any visitor, since that is the lowest form of humiliation back them. The sin was not homosexual sex, but the lack of hospitality.

Any respectable and knowledgeable theologists will be able to back up what I just said.