1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay marriage within one vote in NY senate

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by kris B, Jun 14, 2011.

1. kris B

Same-Sex Marriage Within One Vote of Passage in Albany - NYTimes.com

ALBANY — New York is within a single vote of legalizing gay marriage after a second Republican state senator said on Tuesday that he would support the measure should it come to the floor this week.

The senator, Roy J. McDonald, from the capital region, made his comments to reporters amid growing indications that Republican leaders would bring the bill to an up-or-down vote on Thursday or Friday.

Three other Republican state senators, speaking on condition of anonymity because their conference had not yet formally debated the measure, said they believed the bill was almost certain to come up for a vote and that it would likely pass, making New York the sixth, and largest, state in the nation to legalize same-sex marriage.

The vote tally in the State Senate now stands at 31 of 62 members, with one more vote needed to approve the law. The Assembly has passed the measure several times before and is likely to do so again this week if the Senate moves ahead.

2. Emberstone

wow. I was happy to see the first republican join in a few days ago.

Lets hope they can get one more republican, since we know democrat Diaz is a lost cause (both in terms of this vote, and in terms of if he has a soul or not, which he has proven he doesnt).

I think that republicans learned from ny-26 that dont expect new york republicans to all be Carl Paledinos who are ridged, and cant stand for what is right, isntead of running the party line, and standing for what is wrong on stubborn party princible.

3. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Please.....let it happen.

4. Lolguy

This would be so amazing. LET'S GO NY <3

5. TheRoof

holy crap, finally MY STATE is (hopefully) going to be a place where anyone, gay or straight, can get married!! NY FTW :slight_smile:

6. Ethan A

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi everyone:

PLEASE call the following undecided Republican senators and ask them to support marriage equality.

The list below are the key possible Republican swing votes.
    Stephen Saland (845) 463-0840
    Andrew Lanza (718) 984-4073
    Greg Ball (845) 279-3773

It's fine for anyone to call, but ESPECIALLY New York residents !

We are SOOO close !!!

7. Emberstone

I think NY-26 showed republicans that if they want to survive in new york, even if you are in a deeply traditional conservative district, you are going to do better to work accross the aisle, since it makes it harder for you to be brought down on a single issue like your support for 'killing grandma' which is why the republican was ultimately able to be defeated by a democrat in a deeply red district.

If we can remind them that NY will not burst into flames for allowing loving, commited same-sex couples to marry, and that the turning of the tides wont hit them if they recognize that more people will respect you if you can put aside partisian bullshitting like the republican view of civil rights (race, gender, religion, and sexual orientation, which are all things republicans are historically, even to this very moment against).

8. Kanen

God, I hope this happens. I want so desperately to move to NY some day. If this could happen... It would be amazing.

9. concklin

If this passes it will make me so happy, for the same reason! Born and raised here. And it's NY! c'mon!

10. Pepsi

Pepsi Guest

My mom just told me about this! Why is it not on the news?! NY is already the best, this is just icing on the cake. I'll be so happy if this happens. SO much will change! After re reading this I feel I should apologize that it is so erratic but I'm so happy this may happen!

11. MsShelf

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Honestly, I'm pretty confident that it will pass if it goes to a vote. They have 31 who have said that they WILL vote for it, the other 31 haven't all committed to voting against it, and a couple of comments from those who have yet to commit either way seemed pretty hopeful.

I was talking a little bit about this with a friend this morning, and she also thinks it will happen...she also thinks that when it passes, it will likely spread relatively quickly to other states. I'm really hoping for that to be the case.

12. Emberstone

unfortunately, with only one vote between passing and failing by current count, the republican speaker it seems is not going to do as promised, and will it seems not allow it to go to the floor now that it seems really close to passage.

they were meeting for hours, and it seems that anyone else is going to be the final vote needed, he will block any chance of it coming to the floor.

God forbide people's civil rights matter in america...