1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Republican New York Senator Comes Out For Gay Marriage With Awesome Quote

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Chandra, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Chandra

2. Lolguy

I saw this. It made me lol.

3. Rikudo

Ah yes I had seen it sometimes people need to just say stuff like this to get a message across with no pussyfooting.

4. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wait...does this mean we have the votes we need now? BEcause didn't a report like three days ago say we needed just one more vote?

5. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Nice honest answer. I wish more republicans would do the right thing and actually be conservative and allow GLBT people to have equality. Liberty and justice for ALL.

I think they're still one vote short based on who have openly said how they'll vote.

6. Emberstone

it is not likely to happen. now that the republicans see that the issue is one vote away from passing, they are not likely to allow american values to require them to put it up for vote.

God forbide america exist for its citizens and their equal rights... that gets in the way of the republican agenda.

7. concklin

Way to lump every republican into one bubble. How about the possibility of this republican's daring move changing the minds of other republicans? Not every republican wants to deny us our rights - which is the reason for this very thread.

8. Emberstone

it comes down to the majority. Just because a few republicans in the senete (arent we only at one or two at this time) want to vote yes doesnt mean the majority of them who are distinctly anti-gay marriage will allow it to go to the floor for vote.

This is about find any way to prevent a vote the people of ny want to happen from happening now that it is one vote away from passage. The republican caucus only changed its tune on allowing this vote to go to the floor the moment a republican said they would support it.

they wont let it go to a vote because it doesnt fit the republican brand. The votes practically are there, and the majority of new york support gay marriage.

so they are doing everything they can to prevent a vote from happening, because they would rather deny constitutionally mandated equal rights to a group of people historically they hate and abuse than allow the will of the people of new york to be done.

I am commenting on what the republicans in the ny senete ARE DOING.

9. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hope another one or two republicans will do the right thing and vote for equality.

Intetesting point of whether this will even come up for a vote. I hope it will if they have enough votes finally.

10. Emberstone

the republican caucus said it would go to vote on the floor... then a republican brought it one vote away from passing, and now they are doing everything they can to stall and prevent it. monday is the deadline.

right now, it doesnt matter at all if it has the votes to be passed.

11. Nat3

Nat3 Guest

Am I the only one who thinks this is a little cynic? Pride is this month... Thousands of LGBT's will be in NY for the Pride Parade; so here are the Dems pushing for Civil Union exactly when it is Pride. If it doesn't pass the Rep's will lose a lot of support for the next elections (main reason why the Reps dn't want it to come to vote). In this situation I feel "used" left and right... and some of the Reps know this... so to appease the LGBT they are going pro gay?

And then I don't even know what the church is doing getting into civil unions... The gov is supposed to be separated from the church to begin with.

12. AtmaWeapon

I dunno if they are really trying to appease. Roy McDonald, for instance, (keep wanting to call him Ron, lol!), put some religious based financial backing on the line by saying what he did. Of course, I am biased because I truly consider him a hero and am hailing him as such.

I don't know about the other senators who did, but Saland and Grisanti are undecided and it really is a matter of them, I believe, being swayed by religious opinion and public opinion.

Andrew Cuomo who introduced the bill, I don't know and I don't even care. Sure, our orientation is kicked around like a political and ecclesiastical football because of deep-seated sexualism in society, but the only thing I care about is getting our rights. So I'm thinking ends justify the means on this one. We have really come a long way but I wish this gay marriage issue would be a done deal so we can move on to other issues deserving of our attention.