New York Times "My Ex-Gay Friend"

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Dan82

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/19/magazine/my-ex-gay-friend.html?_r=1&src=me&ref=magazine

2. steel03

Well this is horrifying. What a perfect ass.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sadly, Michael Glatze seems to, by most accounts, have gone off the deep end. He started out as one of the major forces for acceptance of gays and lesbians, written some wonderful books to help gays and lesbians come out and feel accepted, and he and Benjie, after coediting XY, went on to form their own magazine, YGA (Young Gay America, now defunct).

Apparently he did a lot of drugs, and always had a bit of a hypochondria streak, and decided that one of his panic attacks was a vision from God to stop being gay and to spread the word that being gay was wrong. Or so he said. Others have said that while he publicly claims to be totally straight, that he still hooks up with guys... and he seems to have an almost pathological need for attention; several media contacts have said that they have, within the past couple of weeks, gotten almost desperate-sounding appeals from Glatze to write articles about him... and apparently he succeeded, given that he's got the above article.

Those who know him seem to think he's got a pretty serious mental health issue going on and his behavior is more about the need for attention than for any genuine desire to promote any particular agenda. The sad part is, he spreads a lot of disinformation that can be really hurtful to those same teens that, a few years ago, he was doing some great work helping.

4. Tiny Catastrophe

Well he's what I like to call nucken futs

5. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

“To me, Michael is a victim of this insane society we live in, where we grow up with all these conflicting messages and pressures around sexuality and religion, and where we divide into these camps where we’re always right and the other side is always wrong. Some people are susceptible to buying into that, and I think Michael is one of them.”

Too true. That's a sad story :/

6. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just feel sorry for the guy...