1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laws involving Massachusetts school work???

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by DougieBoy, Jun 19, 2011.

1. DougieBoy

DougieBoy Guest

I don't really know where to put this but my child care teacher likes to be a douche to us, and one of my class mates is now living in a totally different place, and doesn't even go to my school anymore and she left her child care portfolio behind. we have worked so hard on our portfolio's i don't want to see hers thrown out. i asked the teacher is i could take the portfolio, and she was like no i can't let you take a student's graded work. Is it legal for me to take them since my friend doesn't even go to my school, or school in general, anymore???

2. VentinIntrovert

I'm not too familar with the laws in the United States. I don't believe that there is such law. In Canada we have the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, it basically gives everyone the right to access public government files (courts, census statistics, educational material, etc). However private information (driver licence info, health care, etc) are ensured privacy. For something like a portfolio and not even an academic transcript, it shouldn't be legal binded. See if you can speak to someone from a higher position of authority or have the student consent to the release of the portfolio to you on their behalf.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There should be no issue. Contact your friend and ask her to call the school and tell the principal or secretary that you have permission to pick up the portfolio.

Teachers are often control freaks and don't like anyone interfering with their little kingdom, so even when a request is reasonable, some of them are assholes. Hopefully your school's administration will understand and be helpful.