1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kenyan Muslim leaders call for death penalty for gays

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Dan82

http://www.timeslive.co.za/africa/2011/06/14/kenyan-muslim-leaders-call-for-death-penalty-for-gays

2. Random Dent

Random Dent Guest

Discrimination, hatred, bigotry, are the real sins and they're the ones committing beastly acts by killing humans in the name of their god/religion. Sickening.

My heart breaks for them.

How anyone can hate anyone for being different from them is beyond me. Then again, I am not religious and don't follow the bible, so I can think for myself.

This is just mortifying.

3. Ben

Ben

Thankfully this will have very little influence—Islam is a minority religion in Kenya after a huge Christian presence and probably after indigenous religions. But still, that's an awful thing to wish.

4. AtmaWeapon

This is so horrible. I'm beyond real words and knowing what to do except to spread the truth of this sickening discrimination around. Funny how they project onto LGBT people abuse of rights and evil and perversion when they are the sole culprits.

5. Meropspusillus

It's also important to realize that this viewpoint isn't the view of all Muslims in Kenya. The people who are very radical tend to be a vocal and powerful minority.

6. Ben

Ben

Absolutely. And the concept of leadership and hierarchy is much less established than in Christianity, so it's hard to say how much influence these 'leaders' actually have.

7. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  8. Emberstone

how hard line/hard right/fundementalist though are the kenyan christians? There are republicans in america who quote the bible on putting gays to death, and some of them are elected officals.

9. Ben

Ben

I'm not quite sure, but there's going to be a large proportion of Catholics and Kenyan Anglicans—for the most part there probably are, unfortunately, a handful of people who wouldn't oppose the death penalty for gays, but there have been in the past few decades huge ecumenical progresses, and I'm sure if there was significant support found within the Kenyan religious leaders, then this would be tackled by the rest of the world. I hope that in light of what happened with the bill in Uganda, Church leaders around the world would be more swift to respond and try to tackle the issue, and the failure of that bill and the controversy it caused might make it unthinkable to the Kenyan government. The composition of Christianity in Kenya is somewhat similar to that in Uganda, though, so it would be easy to be far less optimistic here.
    But yeah, in terms of what's being said in the article, I don't think there's any real threat being posed by the few people in question.

10. Holliepop

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm sorry for my immaturity but; piss off. >_>

11. Bibliophile

Ok now mind you I am not a big fan of religions period in fact I loath most of the major ones but that is the RELIGION I loath NOT the people. There are plenty of people that are religious and not bigoted. To sit there and talk ill of people simply because they follow a faith is just as ignorant as speaking ill of someone for their sexual orientation. You also might want to remember that there are Christians and other religious folk on this very board going through hard times for the same reasons. Sorry but things like this get under my skin bigoted talk is bigoted talk no matter what you are generalizing.

12. British Lad

British Lad Guest

I think Organised religion is a sin and has done more harm then good, so those people can fuck off and go back from what ever pit they crawled out from.