1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Informing Students of Transitioning Staff?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Ben, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Ben

Ben

When I was in my final year of high school (this was a sixth form, so 95% of students were aged 16-19) we all got sent a letter informing us that a technician at the school, who we never really saw anyway, was transitioning.
    I wish I had kept the letter, because I was always in two minds about the whole thing. It was reported in the press, but I couldn't find the text of the whole letter.

Anyway, it talked about how there was some sensitive information that we needed to be made aware of, and it went on to explain transgenderism. Then I seem to remember a section telling us how awesome and special this member of staff was. It all seemed a bit patronising at the time.

Anyway, my question is whether you all think that would be the best way for an institution to support transitioning staff. Do the students need to be told at all?

2. Hot Pink

It really depends on how it's handled, but most transsexuals would not find this method appealing. Transsexualism is about transcending to your preferred sex. This is incredibly difficult if everyone in the town suddenly knows who you are and who you used to be. Kids wouldn't understand and would ridicule you to no end. Most of us just want to be left alone and treated like anyone else. Making a grand spectacle out of it is exactly the opposite of what we want.

3. StarofMiyu

i would like to be reffered to as a girl and not as a transexual.

4. Chandra

I think it should be entirely left up to the individual in question. Some people wouldn't feel comfortable having their transition announced in such a way; others might prefer it for various reasons. I would hope that in the case the OP posted about, this letter was sent out with the full blessings of the person in question.

5. Aya McCabre

I know of people who wrote letters kind of like that to inform their neighborhood, so some people would definitely go for it. It really depends on how they want to do it.