1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Being Gay a Sin?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by ChutneyFarmer, Jul 6, 2011.

1. ChutneyFarmer

Okay, so we've all heard of the Christian activists with their signs saying "ALL HOMOS ARE POSSESSED BY DEMONS" and "CURE THE DISEASE OF HOMOSEXUALITY NOW!" But what do the other world religions say about homosexuality???
    Well, let's take the abrahamic religions first. Christianity says, of course that being gay is wrong. So do Judaism and Islam, but that's not surprising, as the books and prophets of all these religions are interlinked. It's important to bear in mind that in the parts of the Bible, Qu'ran and Torah that say being gay is wrong, we also find commandments telling us:
    • Killing blind people should be rewarded (The Bible, 2 Samuel 5:8)
    • Non-Muslims should be killed (The Qu'ran, 4:91)
    • Alternatives and free-thinkers should be killed (The Torah and Bible, Deuteronomy 13:1-5, 18:20)
    The only other religion to actively condemn being gay as a sin is Zoroastrianism.
    Then there is Taoism. Taoists believe that Men and Women balance out each other's energy: two opposites counter and neutralise each other. Therefore, homosexuality is strongly discouraged, as a gay relationship would not have a balance of energy.
    Jainism and the Baha'i faith do not agree with homosexuality, as they both believe in chastity out-with marriage (civil partnerships do not constitute marriage). However, followers of the Baha'i faith also believe that prejudice against anyone, including gays, is immoral.
    Sikh and Hindu scriptures both overlook the subject. Because of this, there is a difference of opinion within these religions as to what is acceptable. Technically, though, homosexuality is acceptable in these religions, and remains widely accepted in Sikh and Hindu countries.
    Buddhism is also undecided. In some the Edo period, in Japan, love was encouraged between novices and older monks. However, the Dalai Llama of Tibet says that the only acceptable kind of sex is male-female vaginal sex (and only then for conception). The Dalai Llama also supports Human Rights for all "regardless of sexual orientation."
    Homosexuality is acknowledged and accepted in Confucianism, where it is described in the euphemism: "biting the bitter peel." Neopaganism, Satanism, and Unitarian Universalism also say that Homosexuality is O.K. And that's not to metion the Radical Faeries!
    It is important to note here that even in the religions that say being gay is wrong, most followers adopt a modern point of view. It is only a tiny number of small-minded people who take the commandments of their religion so strongly to heart.

2. ANightDude

Uh... India? It's a majority Hindu country, and they just made homosexuality legal a few years ago.

And you're right about the more modern point of view. Religion is meant to evolve as human kind goes on. The point of religion is to keep peace and live the best life possible, treat others the way you want to be treated, etc. If we just kept doing what they taught us in elementary school, people wouldn't be blowing each other up.

3. lulu165

lulu165 Guest

If God wanted us otherwise He would have made us (...and the lesbians) otherwise

4. Jay

Jay

Christianity has a wide spectrum of ideas about homosexuality. Catholicism consider homosexual sex to be a sin but accepts humans might have homosexual tendencies from birth, therefore it doesn't consider being gay as a sin. The Episcopal Church, formerly known as Anglican, are more accepting of homosexuality. Some other denominations consider all aspects of homosexuality disordered and evil.

5. Zontar

Ultimately, I believe it comes down to how much you believe about your religion's scriptures.

If you don't believe they're a direct result of your religion's deity, then you can make a case for acceptance of homosexual activity.

However, if your religon's text explicitly prohibits it, it would be patently absurd to sit there and claim that one verse "doesn't count" or to play word games with translations until you get the desired result. It's either a sin or it isn't. It's clearly written right there. I'm sorry, but if God exists and the Bible is God's word, then gay sex *is* a sin. If you don't believe in section of the Bible/Koran/Torah that condemns homosexuality, then what else is wrong? The part that says God exists? In the end, it's all just what people unwilling to waver on their religon want to hear.

6. Kanen

It's moments like this when I like to leave things up to the experts:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPZ5eUrNF24[/YOUTUBE]

I remember this great quote - though I can't find the video that goes along with it - where I guy, I think it was a City Councilman, ask 'How many LGBT people is God going to have to create for us to realize that he actually wants them around?" the room applauded, I was like [​IMG]

But that's besides the point. I don't know much about other religions, but what I do know about Christianity is that the bible, at its best, should not be taken literally in all senses. Otherwise we'd be murdering people left and right, our crops would suck, our sense of style would be non-existent, the shellfish population would be much larger, no one would shave, we'd still have slaves, etc. Also note that when those laws were being written (Leviticus), it was as a way of instructing the Israelite, who, at the time, were a fairly small people in consideration with other nations. Procreation was probably encouraged. Also, in reference to the other laws, you have to understand that the Israelite had disappointed God (false idol and all), and so, in a way of I'm guessing loyalty, he demanded they follow these rules. Why? Because when he had left them to themselves, they abandoned him.

Also, homosexuality in itself, at least in the way I think of it, which is a loving relationship between two people, is never really mentioned. Why? Because such a concept was unfounded in those days. The only time I can think of homosexuality being expressly forbidden after the Old Testament is Romans 1, and that passage states that men were so filled with lust that they basically got bored with women and moved onto men. Now, I don't know about you, but that never happened to me. I never liked women. Period. So, how can that apply to me? I certainly don't feel filled with lust?

And, Jesus never once broached the topic. If it was a damnable sin, I would think he would cover it, wouldn't you?

When it comes down to it, you have to remember that the bible states that God made us in His image. So, I am exactly the way he wants me to be. And oddly, this thought correlates with the whole 'it's not a choice' thing, wouldn't you say? The amount of scientific evidence should shut out any doubt of that. There is tons. Furthermore, the bible was written by men a VERY long time ago. If you think people are homophobic now, imagine back then!

So yes, it is my belief that being gay is NOT a sin. At least in my own interpretation of the bible. You could have been asking for a large-spread view of Christians everywhere (which I might add is changing rapidly. Look up all the churches that WANTED to perform gay marriages.) I don't know. But that's just my two cents. To sum it up: if you are taking the bible literally, then a lot of things are sins. What actually is, in the sight of God, is another story. So, no, to me, being gay is not a sin. At least to this Christian.

-Kanen

#6 Kanen, Jul 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  7. aidan

i don't think anyone could commit any crime, no matter how heinous, and be deserving of eternal torture because of it. i find the notion of sin to be abhorrent.

thank god i'm an atheist.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXpOA3jPC04&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]​

8. lulu165

lulu165 Guest

That video ^^ brought tears of joy to my eyes. Whoo Its GREAT!

9. Kanen

Oh yes. Thank you thank you thank you.

10. nerdyboy87

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I disagree with the idea the religion should evolve. If God is a truly perfect and omnipotent being, then He would've gotten His scripture and such right the first time. To say otherwise is to state that God, the Bible, and such are imperfect, and/or non-existant. To say that religion is fluid and changing is basically the same as stating that religion is invalid. Either it was all true, or none of it is.

Religion should never be wishy washy. It's not a gamebook to keep the peace, that's what laws are for. It should be a search for truth. If one does not see Christianity, or any other religion, as the truth, then there is no reason to follow it.

11. KnightAssassin

That last post makes me think , what if the bible mentioned iPod touches " thou shall not play tekken before dinner" LOL that would be a beast bible verse .... Sorry for sidebar but all I could think about

12. Shevanel

No, it is not a sin.

13. ArcaneVerse

Not necessarily. God in his infinite wisdom and power would foresee changes, yes but he would also see that the world wouldnt be ready for everything at once. It would be too much to comprehend. Saying that religion should evolve isnt saying god is imperfect, it is saying we are and god knows this and works accordingly.

I'm going to assume you don't live under a rock and know of the LDS Church, well they believe in Revelations from god as a sort of living scripture. Meaning the teachings of god are infinite and always possible for change. Then there are the Personal Revelations which are a personal message\guidance from god, which can in some ways contradict other current teachings IMO but is a much stronger spiritual message because it is tailored to the individual needs and not the masses.

Its said that the Mormon church has a kind of Vault which houses many Revelations which the world arent ready for yet, but the highest leaders know of or at least the president of the church does and he alone has to live by them all.

just something to think about...

14. aidan

when i said no matter how heinous the crime i really meant it. i know that hitler and stalin did bad, but i don't think that justifies them being tortured forever.

but uhh.. to try and get my posts back on track.. i don't think the question can be answered objectively. religious texts are way too prone to subjective interpretation you can pretty much justify any position with them and they're all just as valid as each other.

15. MyDecember

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    We are gay therfore we are sin.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHnBrU3EV2k&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

[​IMG]
    Fuck yeah...

But wait this would also mean we are all Tidus' father...
    But wait this would also mean we all went on a pilgrimage with a summoner
    But wait this would also mean we are all legends at blitz ball
    But wait that means we have all been transformed at the hands of Yunalesca
    (Fuck Yunalesca and her tentacle fetish)
    But wait that would mean that Tidus is rolling in the spirit world because we found a way to break the cycle without anyone really dying.

In those regards, no we cannot be Sin. Impossible, there are just too many loopholes.

16. TinyDancer

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I don't think it's a sin. I think marrying your second cousin is a sin, but that's legal in a lot of states. I can't say for sure about being gay, but I know that God loves us all & wants us to be happy the way we are, whether it's with another man or woman. The bible is weird because SOME Christians & churches twist the words & come up with their own interpretations. What they don't realize is that The Bible was written by many authors, with THEIR own interpretations on events and things God or Jesus said.

It makes me mad when religious people focus so whole heartily on what the Bible says about Homosexuality (can't deny that it does put it down), but it says stuff like it's a sin to play with a pig skin football, work on sundays, have your head exposed(covered), sell your daughter to slavery, and be killed if you have pre-marital sex. It's ridiculous. The Bible is just out dated if anything.

And IF IF IF IF It's a sin, Jesus died on the cross for our sins, and the only inexcusable sin according to Christians is Blasphemy. So they shouldn't be getting their panties in such a bunch over gay people.

17. 4alex6

I definitely don't think being gay is a sin. I went to a Christian school for 2 years and everyone except for the Bible studies teacher accepted homosexuality.